Araucana thread anyone?

Can anyone define what a wild type araucana is for me?..is it colors that do not meet breed standards? Or is it an actual color?

Wild type usually refers to bb red or closely related colors similar to red jungle fowl.Striped chicks.It can include the silver version.

It is an actual color but the explanation is not quite simple. The color BBR can either be a wild type or a wheaten.

There are five alleles of color for chickens. The (E) Extended Black,( ER) Birchen,( eWh) Wheaten, (e+) Wild Type, and (eb) Brown

Wild type is better know as Duckwing and comes in the colors, Silver Duckwing, Golden Duckwing, and Black Breasted Red. The term wild type refers to the Red Jungle Fowl, as geneticists consider its color one of the original colors of chickens that all other colors are derived from. The Green Jungle Fowl is a Birchen bird.

The BBR or Black Breasted Red for the Araucana in the Large Fowl is based on Dark Red Wheaten in order to be shown per the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. In the Bantam Araucana the APA calls for Wheaten and the ABA ( American Bantam Association) calls for Wild Type just to make things confusing.

This is what the Hen looks like in the Dark Red Wheaten. This hen just was awarded Reserved Best of Class this week at an APA show.

The following hen is a wild type hen notice the differences in their color. In the Dark Red Wheaten, the head and neck will be dark chestnut with the body being Cinnamon and the breast being a light cinnamon.

In the wild type the head is a golden red, the neck golden orange striped with black, the body is to be a dull black with each feather striped with light brown, with the overall impression being a brownish grey. The breast is a salmon color.

In the roosters they are nearly identical whether they are based on wild type or wheaten. The below rooster is a wheaten based bird.

All photos are of my birds.

Lanae

Last edited:
A while back there was a discussion regarding feed used for a breeding flock as opposed to layers. Smoothmule had suggested that the additional calcium in layer feed is designed to make hard shells for the commercial egg producers. That may not be the best for chicks trying to hatch.
I came across this feed at Orschelns. It is Nature Wise All Flock.

I took a picture of the analysis.

As you can see in the layer pellet...

The calcium is a minimum of 3.5 to a maximum of 4. In the All Flock the calcium is a minimum of 1.4 to a maximum of 1.9. It contains half the calcium plus the protein is 18% rather than 16% in the layer feed. I did purchase a bag. It does seem on paper to be a better choice for breeding araucana. It won't be until early next year that I start incubating again to see if more chicks hatch compared to what I experienced with layer feed. It should be healthier for the boys in the mean time.

A while back there was a discussion regarding feed used for a breeding flock as opposed to layers. Smoothmule had suggested that the additional calcium in layer feed is designed to make hard shells for the commercial egg producers. That may not be the best for chicks trying to hatch.
I came across this feed at Orschelns. It is Nature Wise All Flock.

I took a picture of the analysis.

As you can see in the layer pellet...

The calcium is a minimum of 3.5 to a maximum of 4. In the All Flock the calcium is a minimum of 1.4 to a maximum of 1.9. It contains half the calcium plus the protein is 18% rather than 16% in the layer feed. I did purchase a bag. It does seem on paper to be a better choice for breeding araucana. It won't be until early next year that I start incubating again to see if more chicks hatch compared to what I experienced with layer feed. It should be healthier for the boys in the mean time.

You can go even higher on the protein for the breeders. I've been feeding a game bird breeder at 30% and mix it with the Purina Nutra Blend green for a little lower percent total

Is the gene/trait for rumplessness recessive or dominant or incompletely dominant or..?
smile.png

Rumplessness is dominant, which thankfully makes it easier to breed for!

Back
Top Bottom