Araucana thread anyone?

How would you go about cross breeding Araucanas to.. Say.. Ameraucanas, to try to achieve rumps and tufts? Just for layers and eye candy?

You'd have a lot of trouble breeding out beards and muffs from Ameraucanas. What is your goal? To use the Ameraucanas to increase the Araucana's size?

I hatch eggs for other people and one customer is breeding his Marans to some Tufted Araucana hens he bought from me and he is getting 100% rumpless and 50% tufted, and all have feathered legs which is what he wanted. So I would say if you want tailed tufted birds it might be a bit of a process if the birds are homozygous rumpless.

Lanae

Aloha, Yeah, The offspring of the rumpless araucana will still be rumpless because it is a dominant gene but the offspring

will then be heterozygous. Breed them one more time to a rumped bird and 50% should have a rump.

Make sure you only breed the ones with tufts to ensure that you have tufts in the offspring. kden, Puhi

Aloha, Yeah, The offspring of the rumpless araucana will still be rumpless because it is a dominant gene but the offspring

will then be heterozygous. Breed them one more time to a rumped bird and 50% should have a rump.

Make sure you only breed the ones with tufts to ensure that you have tufts in the offspring. kden, Puhi

Breeding only the ones with tufts will not ensure tufts. The lethal gene will certainly ensure there will be more die in the shell because they are homozygous for tufting, there will be less hatch but it's generally the tufted that die. I get as many tufted chicks breeding tufted to clean faced, that doesn't change, but I get a larger number chicks that hatch and the clean faced chicks have just as much to offer to a breeding program as the tufted.... and can produce tufted chicks bred to a tufted mate.

Breeders who breed strictly tufted to tufted are trying to lower the number of non tufted chicks in a hatch and all they are doing are limiting the total number hatched and the ones that die in the shell are tufted (other than the usual losses which can include clean faced and tufted anyway). They still hatch clean faced and that is not going to be changed because all tufted individuals are heterozygous for the tufting gene so even though they are tufted themselves, they have one gene for tufting and one for clean faced.

Last edited:

Hello all, was wondering what to do with my rooster. Would he be of any use going to a breeder, show home or freezer camp? He is unusual but I am not sure if he is a dime a dozen. Just want him to end up where he will be appreciated.

How would you go about cross breeding Araucanas to.. Say.. Ameraucanas, to try to achieve rumps and tufts? Just for layers and eye candy?
I find that putting some lipstick on her beak along with a glass of wine and candles helps. : )

Back
Top Bottom