Araucana thread anyone?

A few pics of some that I hatched out on 11-30-12.
22 of 26 fertile eggs hatched.
The 4 that did not hatch had full size chicks inside of them when I chech them.

Check this little chick out.
When it hatched it did not have any fuzz on it.
Has a bald spot on its rump.
Wonder what happened?

Lanae once told me that its a gene that causes the slow feathering. It should not be rebred due to potential for catching diseases easier. Hope I got that right :).

Not quite Shannon,

The slow feathering gene is good in araucana. There is studies that indicate slow feathered birds are less susceptible to diseases such as mareks.

Greg,

I had a chick that hatched exactly like yours, no fuzz and then when it started coming in it was course and looked singed. Mine turned out to be a stunning bird so no worries that there is something wrong with yours. Could just be a quirk of incubation.

Lanae

I've read differing thoughts on slow and fast feathering. I'm not sure what to think but I'm not at a point where I would prefer one over the other. I've had a few that were slow feathering and they were prone to being picked on if there was anything stressful happening, like a temperature drop or new one's added to the flock. I've read a little about it since I've had both but I still have no firm opinion on them.

I've read that slow feathering makes it possible to feather sex them but I've also other things that are not as good
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1492.0

Here is a good page on feather sexing.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feather_sexing_practice.html

Genetically speaking what happens when you cross a bearded and muffed chicken w/ a tufted araucana with regard to probabilty of muffs, beards or tufts? Equal chance of each? Does any one of those make any others unlikely?

Not quite Shannon,

The slow feathering gene is good in araucana. There is studies that indicate slow feathered birds are less susceptible to diseases such as mareks.

Greg,

I had a chick that hatched exactly like yours, no fuzz and then when it started coming in it was course and looked singed. Mine turned out to be a stunning bird so no worries that there is something wrong with yours. Could just be a quirk of incubation.

Lanae
Oh wow backwards. I get one with slow feathering maybe once a month.

Back
Top Bottom