Araucana thread anyone?

Finally got around to snapping pics of my OE Araucanas. Mom was BCM dark chocolate eggs x DT Araucana dad.

Out of the three that hatched, 2 looks DT. Here are the DT. Chick 1 has huge R tuff and the a smaller L tuff. Chick 2 chick has smaller DT.

View attachment 2236720

(Chick 1, 1 of 2)

View attachment 2236722

(Chick 1, 2 of 2)

View attachment 2236728

(Chick 2, 1 of 2)

View attachment 2236730

(Chick 2, 2 of 2)

My incubator is finally going to go away for the Summer until weather cools down (September). Enjoy your weekend :).
That second picture is too much! Just plain adorable!

Just had a bumper crop of chicks hatch! My mottled Araucana pullet hatched 4 out of 6 eggs on Friday. Yesterday, my incubator clutch of 14 started to hatch. So far 12 have hatched and another one is pipped.

I gave the hen 2 of the incubator chicks last night, and will have to give her a couple more tonight. The two brooders I have can only accommodate a total of 10 chicks. After watching her with the 6 chicks this morning I think she can handle 2 more.
20200712_120525.jpg

Just had a bumper crop of chicks hatch! My mottled Araucana pullet hatched 4 out of 6 eggs on Friday. Yesterday, my incubator clutch of 14 started to hatch. So far 12 have hatched and another one is pipped.

I gave the hen 2 of the incubator chicks last night, and will have to give her a couple more tonight. The two brooders I have can only accommodate a total of 10 chicks. After watching her with the 6 chicks this morning I think she can handle 2 more.
View attachment 2240217
Fluffy butts! Adorable!

This is so far my only one rumpless. I think is a roo, clean face. Not sure about that color.

Looks like a BBR type color. More inclined that it's a BBR pullet. My juvie male color are totally different.

BTW, I've found that Araucanas are notorious for being early crowers. My Ameraucanas usually don't crow until 4-6 + months. Araucanas, 2-3 months. Grew some Cream Legbar this year. they're the same as Araucanas! 2-3 months!

View attachment 2240217

Trish, you need to secretly send me some hatching eggs in Fall lol. I told the wife I would cut back on my chickens. Only suppose to keep 4, but chicken Math is harder to solve than you think. I counted my chickens today and am glad my neighbors haven't said anything to me. I would LOVE some blues. Love blue chickens.

Last year, when I hatched some black Araucanas from Edd's stock, I had planned on crossing it with an OE splash hen that I had that had a pea comb. However, when they were growing out I didn't like their eye color. Some chicks hatch with blotchy black specks, etc. Sometimes it gets better with age, but I I don't have time to deal with culls? Better to cut away and try again next time with someone else. Too much money goes into feed, beddings. mealworms, veggies, melons, time, etc.

I have the new juvie Araucanas that are still growing, some BCM that hatched with my OE Araucana mix and this past week had a hatch of 9 BBS Ameraucana. Hatch rate was lower than I anticipated (25ish % hatch rate), but they were shipped from East coast all thr way to CA.

In my book, any hatch eggs 25 % and above is solid. This year has been tough with shipped eggs. CA heat, USPS handling of packages, etc. Worst one was some Marans ebay eggs I won this past Winter. All eggs recieved intacted, but only 1/24 hatched. No extra eggs sent either. The 1 is a pretty Blue Copper Marans. I emailed the seller that he should check for fertility. I guess it was my fault for wanting to hatch during Winter, when fertility is usually down. Shame on me for having an addiction.

Looks like a BBR type color. More inclined that it's a BBR pullet. My juvie male color are totally different.

BTW, I've found that Araucanas are notorious for being early crowers. My Ameraucanas usually don't crow until 4-6 + months. Araucanas, 2-3 months. Grew some Cream Legbar this year. they're the same as Araucanas! 2-3 months!

Totally ignorant question...what is BBR? How do you know about all those colors abbreviations?
Thank you!
Glenda

Trish, you need to secretly send me some hatching eggs in Fall lol. I told the wife I would cut back on my chickens. Only suppose to keep 4, but chicken Math is harder to solve than you think. I counted my chickens today and am glad my neighbors haven't said anything to me. I would LOVE some blues. Love blue chickens.

Last year, when I hatched some black Araucanas from Edd's stock, I had planned on crossing it with an OE splash hen that I had that had a pea comb. However, when they were growing out I didn't like their eye color. Some chicks hatch with blotchy black specks, etc. Sometimes it gets better with age, but I I don't have time to deal with culls? Better to cut away and try again next time with someone else. Too much money goes into feed, beddings. mealworms, veggies, melons, time, etc.

I have the new juvie Araucanas that are still growing, some BCM that hatched with my OE Araucana mix and this past week had a hatch of 9 BBS Ameraucana. Hatch rate was lower than I anticipated (25ish % hatch rate), but they were shipped from East coast all thr way to CA.

In my book, any hatch eggs 25 % and above is solid. This year has been tough with shipped eggs. CA heat, USPS handling of packages, etc. Worst one was some Marans ebay eggs I won this past Winter. All eggs recieved intacted, but only 1/24 hatched. No extra eggs sent either. The 1 is a pretty Blue Copper Marans. I emailed the seller that he should check for fertility. I guess it was my fault for wanting to hatch during Winter, when fertility is usually down. Shame on me for having an addiction.
Got to love chicken math! I’m also failing at it!!

Totally ignorant question...what is BBR? How do you know about all those colors abbreviations?
Thank you!
Glenda

BBR is black breasted red. It's chicken lingo/jargon.

Every breed has it's own lingo. DW is duckwing, SDW is silver duckwing, GDW is gold duckwing, DT is double tuff, ST is single tuff, etc. You pick up on the lingo by asking or reading forums and catching up on them. When in question, ask.

Be aware, I think there is a wheaton BBR type for Araucanas. Someone can correct me on this.

1F9B0EF3-A30A-4098-8326-25D446C47458.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom