Araucana thread anyone?

Here is the birds in my white pen. I put them all in here because I didn't know where else to put them. So far everything that has hatched out of this pen has been cuckoo.

The roo
19098_white_roo_2.jpg

The girls
19098_tufted_splash_hen_1.jpg

19098_cuckoo_pullet_3.jpg

19098_tufted_blue_hen_daisy_2.jpg

and the cuckoo pullet on the right is in there too now.
19098_grow_out_pen_10-11-2011_2.jpg

Lanae

These two are going to be the start of my birchen pen next year if they survive the winter.

The roo. Has has two tiny tufts
19098_tufted_birchen_1.jpg

The pullet, she is cleanfaced
19098_birchen_pullet_1.jpg

Lanae

I love the rump on this girl. This is what I call a rump bump.

19098_tufted_silver_pullet_1.jpg

19098_tufted_silver_pullet_2.jpg

She has two tiny tufts and will be going into my duckwing pen in a couple of months.

Lanae

Here are a couple of my cuckoo grow outs. They all look to be pullets so far.

19098_tufted_cuckoo_pullet_1.jpg

19098_cuckoo_pullet_1.jpg

19098_tufted_columbian_chick.jpg

19098_tufted_cuckoo_pullets_1.jpg

Then there is this guy. I am trying to figure out if I am keeping him or not.

19098_tufted_roo_1.jpg

Lanae

Wow, look at your birds! My goodness, what an exciting group of Araucanas you have going. Truly, seeing your groups together like this is just plain exciting. Your duckwings are,
ya.gif
. I absolutely adore those tufts on your cuckoo girl - stunning. No wonder you're itching to hatch! The possibilities are ENDLESS.

How are things going with your photo book?

Sorry you lost a girl to the cold; it's the crappy side of chicken raising for sure. I was so worried about your four birds, arriving just in time for our intense winter to hit. We've been getting down to single digits at night and only up into the teens during the day for weeks now. Those Araucanas are handling it just fine, act like they've been weathering these temps forever. The first week of cold I lost a Marans cockerel and a beautiful buff Ameraucana cockerel. I hate it, every year, waiting to see which of the breeding birds I worked so hard to bring in, won't be strong enough to handle the winter months. But that's the way it goes, only the hearty survive to contribute to the gene pool of next year's chicks.

I am still working on the book. I just got a copy of the " Araucana Poulterers Handbook" and My 1927 April National Geograpic should be here any day. I am going to use those and my " Araucanas Rings on their Ears" book as reference guides. Since it can be difficult to find info on the araucana of the past, I want to make sure I put info on the history in my book. I am working out the tufting info pages too.

I am kicking around doing a paper copy of the book for those with limited funds. I am afraid the glossy, full color version is going to be fairly expensive. However I won't know till I get it finished.

I took a couple weeks off from it, so that I wouldn't get frustrated too much.

I cannot wait to see the chicks you start hatching in the spring from the blues. That blue roo has such a beautiful carriage. I have a couple of nice tufted babies here from him that I kept.

Today was such a beautiful day to take photos even though it was cold. The light was perfect and the birds behaved for the most part.

Lanae

1 out of 11 shipped eggs hatched. 4 eggs had made it to lock down, but I did not know that the temp was at 91 degrees in the hatcher, until the day after the due date.
barnie.gif
So, I moved the hatcher to the basement from the unheated office. Three days later a lone chick hatch. I am happy that I got a rumpless chick from an almost failed hatch.
woot.gif

2042625841168_ORIG.jpg

1042625841158_ORIG.jpg

49442_pic_0050.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49442_1f.jpg[/img] Here are a couple of pics of what I got from crossing a [splash] araucana onto black ameraucana.No blues produced.So that rules out splash.I then thought pied.Which seemed to fit.I now read that pied is recessive.Since 2 copies were not involved that rules out pied.I read that erminett is dominate.So erminett seems to fit.The white rooster on your post that produced only cuckoo [looks like splash cuckoo] seems to fit the erminett gene.2 copies of erminett is said to produce white.Which in turn would produce 100% erminett or in your case cuckoo erminett.I know some are calling it splash blue cuckoo.Just trying to figure out how to produce this color and how the genes work.Any info you can share could be of help to me.

Back
Top Bottom