Araucana thread anyone?

Quote:
Hello: ...... One idiomatic detail; The real name is ""collonca de ARETES" (aretes means earings) not ARTES. (meaning arts) It''s one little E in betwen, that makes a lot of difference.

Last edited:
Thanks Kano, you would know. In just about everything I have read it say Artez but I know Aretes mean earrings so that would make sense. They probably just spelled it wrong. I noticed quite a few things spelled wrong. I also mis type words when typing quickly.

Rumbull, I read somewhere that the majority of blue egg laying birds were straight combed before the 1900, and leghorns are newer than that I believe. However it shows that blue eggs are possible with straight combed birds. It seems that everytime someone posts here on byc that they hatched a straight combed bird someone else chimes in that it wont have the blue egg gene because you can only have it with pea combed birds. Just seems a little ridiculous to me, especially when the people that are saying it havn't done the research, don't have blue egg breeds, or are just repeating something someone else said and acting like its the law.

I think the handbook is relevant for today also since there is alot of info on tufts, comb, and blue eggs, something all of us are having issues with. I can say with experience, I am getting the best tufts from my cuckoo splashs and my red pyle mixs. The bluest eggs are coming from my splashs. I dont have any straight combed birds in my breeding program so can't verify any info, but I would really be interested to know if the tufts can be stabilized by breeding away from blue eggs, and rumpless ness. I do have a couple of birds that I may be able to devote to that project. First I need to breed for a tufted tailed. I already have a hen that has no blue egg gene but has decent araucana type. No tufts though. I am totally going to have to give this some thought. Wouldn't it be cool if the tufts could be stabilized.

Lanae

I don't know if anyone else noticed the Ebay seller who is selling araucana eggs from birds that are obviously not araucana. I sent them a message explaining the difference and directing them to my website if they had any questions about what tufts were since they stated that some of their hens had tufts and some had beards. I was hoping my comment would show up for all to see but it didn't. They had two people bid on them and they were up to $42.00.

Someones going to be dissappointed.

Lanae

Quote:
Yea, unfortunately the seller has to choose, when they answer the comment, if the question and answer will show. So you're right, people will definitely be disappointed as the seller either knows and is trying to make a buck off the ignorant, or is ignorant about the birds they really have.

If people who are buying were smart they would look at all the ads. But 40 eggs for $42, maybe thats all they are thinking of.

Lanae

I think leghorns have been crossed in lately, and it does remove some of the brown tints in the eggs. It also reduces the intensity of the blue colour. There are passion fowl in Chile, these birds are blue laying bantams and have a single comb. There is linkage between blue eggs and the comb type, so that a family of birds will be single combed and blue laying or pea combed and blue laying, with crossing over about 5 percent of the time.....meaning that the linkage was broken during reproduction. Families that have been single combed and blue laying with a few pea combed individuals who lay non blue, can have a few non single combed that lay blue, and a few single combed ones who lay not blue....about 5 percent of the time. Sorry, I know that's about as clear as mud, just that about 5 percent of the time the linkage with comb type doesn't predict the egg colour. I have a picture of a passion fowl, if I find it, I'll post it.

Jocelyn

Here you go, a Passion fowl from an add in the Mercury newspaper in Chile. Birds listed as blue laying hens, and this picture of a male.

passionfowlinCurico.jpg

Quote:
Check out those white earlobes - so interesting.
Jocylen, where are you from? Have you ever seen the egg color in person from one of these birds. I'd be so curious to know how blue they are.

So I did get an email from the ebay person with the Araucana eggs and this is what she said -

" What we have is Araucana & Americana but only blue egg layers-we have rumpless,tailed,bearded,tufted,muffed,etc.I can not possibly put up anymore pics to be anymore clear.They show the beautiful varieties we get & never a pink egg. I have been breeding birds for 25 yrs. And these are some of the best ever-I have spent the past 4 yrs on them perfecting no pink eggs.I have sold many eggs & even more of their chicks-no one has been disappointed yet.But I do understand where your coming from & I do not take it the wrong way. I went to your site & I have many birds that look just like yours-only difference is mine are affordable. Merry Christmas"

I was surprised she emailed me back. Still her ebay add does not say Araucana Americana. But I gave her the opportunity to learn more.

Lanae

Here is the reply I sent. I don't really think she is concerned about what she is selling.

"No Problem, its just that your add does not say Araucana/Ameraucana mix eggs, it says Araucana. Also most of the birds pictured are not ameraucana or araucana and non of the birds pictured are tufted. So your add was confusing to me. But we each have to make decisions as we see fit on how we present ourselves.

Yes your birds would be more affordable since they are not purebred. Mine are purebred Rumpless, Tufted, Araucana chickens. I breed raise and show my birds. I raise no other birds. I have been focused on the Araucana for the past 5 years. I have purchased all the books written regarding the Araucana. I have made it a point to get to know other breeders that breed raise and show Araucana. I have been writing a book on the Araucana for the past year, filled with the history and controversies that have led to what they are today. I am kind of an expert on what is an Araucana.

I started out by buying birds from someone who said they had Araucana. I was greatly dissappointed by their misinformation. What I received was easter eggers, which is a mix breed bird that can at times resemble an Ameraucana chicken. However in most cases the easiest way to tell is they either have yellow or green legs ( Ameraucana have white or blue leggs because they have white skin), they are lacking a beard or muffs, or both, their color is not one of the approved colors for the Ameraucana.

Thank you for your reply and hope you have a lovely day."

Did it sound too snotty? Thats what I was going for. I havn't had my coffee yet, so my charm has not kicked in.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom