Araucana thread anyone?

You all deserve a big hug for making so many terrific looking Araucana's! ! !
I can tell you that the past 5+ years with my Araucana's has been amazing.  Watching my own flock develop, trying to get more people interested and every year there are more breeders..........and more Araucana's that are "Right On" correct.  Each year I've been amazed to see what improvements I'm getting.  Seeing so many breeders is so heartwarming and I wanted to say Thank You all for your interest in this breed.   It felt a little lonesome when I first started with them.  Not many people to talk with about my progress and problems.   Not many poultry breeders even knew what they were and SO many people had easter eggers and there was so much education to do.  

In a business where politics are the norm between breeders, it's so pleasing to see everyone appreciating each others achievements and sharing the joy and heartache while not being so critical and helping more and more people learn about the breed and get started with their own flocks.  The more the better!  With every new flock comes a new line that will feed the gene pool and strengthen it, not only to keep it alive but to make it strong and healthy.  

YAY!!!!  

:celebrate

I Agree Cathy! I know that in many of the breeds, the breeders of quality stock like to keep them to themselves.

900x900px-LL-64e4cce5_78200_lil_bit_1day_07small.jpeg

Here is my look alike.
Same exact lazy look on his face, too
love.gif

It looks like I ended up with 5 clean faced and 2 double tufted (both blacks). One of the double tufted blacks has a little tiny tail.
Here's 2 of the trio I got a week ago, the BR hen started laying here today, the prettiest blue egg. How can I get more hens this color? (Black with gold lacing on their necks). What do I need to breed together to get that? Do I need a Wheaten boy?
ETA: The guy I got them from did tell me the rooster isn't supposed to have yellow legs. What color are they supposed to be? (It doesn't matter to me, I don't show or breed to sell).

Last edited:
hey all:

i have two bbr chicks - - one is coming in black and the other brown. i'm guessing one is male and one is female. does anyone know?

just to follow-up, one was female (black) and the other male (brown/red). not sure if this is true for all bbr chicks.

now, i have another question: if a splash roo bred to a bbr hen, what would the offspring be?

thanks.

Doing this from tapatalk so hope it works.
Here is my 11 week old ... pullet? She/he was the only one to hatch from shipped eggs. No tufts are visable.....sigh.......

So do you think pullet?

443fc158-bb09-3174.jpg

443fc158-baf8-2ccd.jpg

Sherrie

These are the babies I kept from Cordedor's eggs. I kept the ones that had smaller/less beefy legs. I think I may have guessed wrong, though. What are your thoughts on their genders and what specifically are their color types? They are almost 9 weeks old.

"BLACKBEARD":

"CHICKPEA":

"EDITH":

All together now:

My guess would be all girls, MaMama. ChickPea is a hoot!
BattleDrone, here's where it gets confusing lol There's "Ameraucana" which are bearded purebreds. Americana (spelled with an 'i' by hatcheris also known as Easter Eggers), which are gorgeous mixed breeds that lay colored eggs. And then there's "Araucana" which are purebreds usually rumpless and sometimes have tufts growing out the side of their faces, although they can also at times be born with tails, they lay blue eggs.
See? Told ya it got confusing
lol.png

Did you get the rumpless breed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom