Araucana thread anyone?

I have a feather color question, or 3. The female version of black breasted red is a wild type color pattern w/ browns and reds right??? The boy in question.

So if you cross a male bbr w/ a female red colored bird (solid red w/o patterning) the female offspring will be the wild type but maybe have more red then normal wild type right?

The BBR can be based on wild type and wheaten, the males will look the same, the difference is in the females. The turken pictured is based on wheaten and if the female was based on wheaten and the roo was based on wild type you would get a wheaten looking hen with some wild type charistericts, such as this hen who is a wheaten X wild type split but she also has columbian which is a whole other issue.
She has the wheaten head and wings but the wild type neck. This hen is also a wheaten X wild type mix. You can get lots of variations in shading when you mix the two. By the way, in the large fowl araucana the BBR should be based on Dark Wheaten not wild type.

This is the color you would be wanting in the BBR only with willow legs. Notice the darker head, medium cinnamon back and wings and the light cinnamon body? This is the appropriate color in the BBR for Araucana Large Fowl.

This is a wheaten BBR roo. They are nearly identical to the wild type BBR. It is only in the hens that you can see the difference.

Lanae

Thanks, Ari is based on wild type, he had a sister as a young chick and when I posted pics of them both you told me she was based on wild type. He also has wrong leg color for sop.

I finally downloaded the pics I took at the show in Birchrun of the 4 Araucanas someone had for sale. I talked with the gentleman and he still has them. There is this a blue,goldwingish like, red colored roo that I wouldn't keep.

There is a blue,cream splash roo with enormous double tufts with back to the camera

Then the two hens that I was wondering what color they are and what would be best to breed them too if I wanted to buy these guys.

They look a little rough. The man said that they were in real bad molt. I'm not sure about that as i have never seen any chickens look like this when mine molt.

I'm mainly interested in the two hens but would consider keeping the splash for awhile to try him out.

Last edited:
I finally downloaded the pics I took at the show in Birchrun of the 4 Araucanas someone had for sale. I talked with the gentleman and he still has them. There is this a blue,goldwingish like, red colored roo that I wouldn't keep.

There is a blue,cream splash roo with enormous double tufts with back to the camera

Then the two hens that I was wondering what color they are and what would be best to breed them too if I wanted to buy these guys.

They look a little rough. The man said that they were in real bad molt. I'm not sure about that as i have never seen any chickens look like this when mine molt.

I'm mainly interested in the two hens but would consider keeping the splash for awhile to try him out.
What was the guys name. And the hens look dark BBR or Brown red, hard to tell for sure. The splash looks decent and if he has not red anywhere I might know someone who would buy him from you if you got him.

Lanae

I sold my last 2 whites, a couple of Lovely pullets. They shipped out today to go to Louisiana. They had their baths, nails trimmed etc and basked in the sun as they dried and fluffed this morning. They ate like little piggies, banana's, apples, lettuce and pellets and drank their fill of their water with ACV. I have to say I enjoy preparing them for their trips. I can't always give them baths but it was a great day for it and the weather was sunny, warm and breezy.

Looking at what I plan to use in the spring, I have some cockerels that need to go, They are not up to standard but they do have some good traits.

This boy has very nice yellow legs. Double tufted and rumpless. If I still had white hens, I think that would be the way I would breed him. Recessive whites will cover the colored areas and his yellow legs will be an asset. I found it somewhat difficult to find whites with good yellow legs. $25 plus shipping. Hatched early summer, he has a ways to go to maturity and he's developing nice. Sold

This cockerel is also double tufted and rumpless. Also very young and just now getting his mature feathers so he looks scraggly but he's nice sized and will be really nice by spring. Black with a lot of leakage so he could be used with black hens to work on improving the black (I've started with worse) or a patterned hen. He has patterning like a birchen so he may be brown red. I don't know. He has a nice small, tight good pea comb, tiny wattles, black legs with yellow soles. $25 plus shipping Sold

Last is a project cockerel. This boy is BIG. Big bodied and large boned. Silver, no gold leakage. Birchen like, mottled like and has "SPANGLES" on his chest. He is clean faced/tailed with yellow legs. $45 VERY Cool keeping

Keeping for now since I got the others sold

Ever just want tufts? I have a freebie with nice tufts and a tail. He's silver birchen. Just pay for shipping. If I have a used box, I'll throw it in for free. Rehomed

PM me if you're interested in any of these guys. I will be posting this same ad in other areas,

Last edited:
hey guys:

just curious if anyone has wheaten based bbr day old chicks for sale - - or hatching eggs?

please let me know.

thank you.

hey guys:

just curious if anyone has wheaten based bbr day old chicks for sale - - or hatching eggs?

please let me know.

thank you.
Wheaten based BBRs are extrememly rare. Only myself and one other breeder are actively breeding them and for them. I do not sell day old chicks and she does at times but they are a mix of her pens so you may get 1 or 2 bbr or none at all. Not only are the wheatens rare, they are not a standard wheaten color, they are a dark wheaten which is a very important distinction.

Here is my website www.cashsblueeggs.com and here is the other breeders www.skyblueegg.com

Lanae

Wheaten based BBRs are extrememly rare. Only myself and one other breeder are actively breeding them and for them. I do not sell day old chicks and she does at times but they are a mix of her pens so you may get 1 or 2 bbr or none at all. Not only are the wheatens rare, they are not a standard wheaten color, they are a dark wheaten which is a very important distinction.

Here is my website www.cashsblueeggs.com and here is the other breeders www.skyblueegg.com

Lanae

Hopefully I will join the wheaten breeding challenge next year!

Picked up these chicks yesterday. Can anyone tell me what colour they are likely to turn out to be?

This is the first time I have kept Araucanas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom