Araucana x Cream Legbar?

Rosy Starling

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
I have seen many adverts for hatching eggs in the uk for this cross breed recently. I was just wondering the purpose for the cross as they both have the blue egg gene. So I'm thinking, its either...

1.) Because the CL is a more prolific egg layer so will produce a better egg layer with blue eggs.
2.) Because the mix produces a healthier / nicer temperament bird (or)
3.) Because the mix of both the blue genes produces a deeper blue egg?

Can anyone shed light on this popular breed mix?

Last edited:
I have seen many adverts for hatching eggs in the uk for this cross breed recently. I was just wondering the purpose for the cross as they both have the blue egg gene. So I'm thinking, its either...

1.) Because the CL is a more prolific egg layer so will produce a better egg layer with blue eggs.
2.) Because the mix produces a healthier / nicer temperament bird (or)
3.) Because the mix of both the blue genes produces a deeper blue egg?

Can anyone shed light on this popular breed mix?

1- The Progeny will lay less blue eggs than the pure CL pullets(260 average for CL and 180 Average for Araucana, you take the average and multiply it by a estimated 10% heterosis effect), so I don't think that is the reason, for a better blue egg layer one crosses CL x White Leghorns(the cross is estimated to produce about 300 eggs at 72 weeks of age)

2. Perhaps.

3. They have the same Oocyan blue egg shell(Autosomal Dominant) mutation a the oocyan locus so this will not create a deeper blue egg.

This is a very interesting research about Easter Egger Egg Production(Araucana x Leghorn)

PRODUCTIVE PERFORMANCE OF EASTER EGGER CROSSES OF ARAUCANA AND SCHIJNDELAAR ROOSTERS WITH WHITE LEGHORN HENS
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ae4f/d9522c44c1bf01195d72f7d799a3e5107a17.pdf

Also, just to add another thought, the Ameracauna is a gloss shiny egg, and I believe that the CL is a mat finish. Not sure how the cross will result. I'm guessing mat... and all bearded.

Also, just to add another thought, the Ameracauna is a gloss shiny egg, and I believe that the CL is a mat finish. Not sure how the cross will result. I'm guessing mat... and all bearded.
That is true many Araucanas, Ameraucanas and EEs have a glossy shine to it, CL have matte due to the Leghorn blood.

This is my EEs and the third egg of my ISA Brown pullet both have glossy finish, I will try to produce Glossy Green Eggers

1594602903039.png

Back
Top Bottom