Araucanas / Americanas from McMurray Hatchery

Jonny-Chicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 11, 2008
Lowbanks, Ontario
Has anyone here ever ordered Araucanas / Americanas from McMurray Hatchery? I'm wondering if there is someone out there who knows if these are genuine Araucanas or if they are the much maligned EE or Easter Egg chickens that are mixed breed... I just ordered 25 chicks.
It doesn't really matter to me as I am not breeding, just having fun with chickens and giving out their eggs, but I'm curious.

if you notice, their picture of an "araucana/americana" has ear tufts and a tail, which i don't believe is true of the araucana or ameraucana...

you'll also notice that the last sentence is this:

"Our Araucanas are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition."

so, they're basically Easter Eggers, but i'm sure they'll be cute!!

EE's...do a search here on BYC for more information...I think this question has been asked a million times before, so Ill bet you can get all kinds of info!!
big_smile.png

Almost every hatchery is same way too.
They all say Ameraucana and/or Araucana and they all are EE mutts and they know it.

There's nothing wrong with EE and a lot of people love them. They're just not Araucana or Ameraucana.

Last edited:
McMurray has EE's. I have 4 of them and they are just gorgeous! Only two of the 4 are muffed and none are bearded. But they are pretty girls all the same!

I have 8 Ameraucana that came from Mt. Healthy but even though they are not laying yet I think they my be Golden Comets. They have yellow legs & no tuffs.

Back
Top Bottom