Araucanas - I'm confused

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrazyChookz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    I recently read the Araucana page in the breeds section, and can't help noticing that the breed has tufts near its ears and is rumpless. The Araucana is totally different from the pictures I see and information Ive read about.(though some agree with the breed page). I am confused, and wold like to know what the real araucana is like.

Thanks guys!
    I would like to know about this because I am planning to get more hens this summer, and am trying to find out more about the breeds I know less of.

Here is a pic of an Araucana I found online which is not rumpless and has no tufts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    You probably looked at the North American Araucana. They are tufted and rumpless.
    The European and Australian Araucana look like that one, but usually have a crest.

3. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Thanks! I live in Australia so that will help.

4. the bird pictured in australia is called an ameraucana, there is the araucana with is tufted and rumpless and there is the australian araucana which is simular to the one in the pic but they have a crest :) im also in australia and working on australian araucanas

5. Ozchick222

Ozchick222 New Egg

Sep 8, 2014
    QLD. Australia
    The pics are of two of my Australian araucanas. The white is a young roo about 12 weeks old. Looks ratty as his feathers are still coming in.He had just had his crest and muff feathers trimmed around his eyes.[​IMG]
    In one pic of the black girl she's about 12 weeks too and you can see how her muffs & crest feathers are starting to obstruct her vision.[​IMG]
    The other pic is of her at 22 weeks.. definitely needing a trim. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by