Arctic blast coming to my area

I plan to keep mine in. I doubt they would go out on their own anyway. They didn't last January when we were below zero.
Ok then. I wont let them out tomorrow. They should be fine today because the cold isnt coming until tomorrow. Id like to bring them into the garage but i dont think thatd go over well with my SO. Hes parking his car in there so there isnt much room for a flock of 8. Theyre doing a story on keeping pets safe on the news.

What part of the country are you in @Ninjasquirrel Main thing to help prevent frost bite is ventilation around top of the coop to let out the moisture your flock produces from their poop and breathing.

I know most of my chickens will decided to stay inside and probably my ducks my geese on the other hand usually stay outside even though there are 3 houses they could get into out of the weather. Since they have never experienced this extreme cold since neither are 20 yrs old they may just decided to join the rest of the flock and stay in doors.

Looks like we are south of you. Our low temps are expected to be around -10F (not including wind chill).

We have an elevated non-insulated coop with electric. Well ventilated. We have a heated dog bowl inside the coop. We have a thermostat plugged into an outlet, with a heat lamp (250 watt, red) plugged into the thermostat. The thermostat only turns on the heat lamp at 15F, turns it off when temp reaches 18.5F. It is centered above 2 roosts, which are ladder style. The thermometer for the thermostat is at the level of the top roost, but is not near to the heat lamp. The coop is a bit warmer than the outside, but not a lot. I figure that it lessens any cold stress, which may keep a bird from continuing to eat and drink - both essential to health. It provides them some warmth but not so much they would be in trouble if the power went out. The heat lamp is extra secured to the ceiling joists with a chain, so I’m not worried it would fall.

When temps have dropped significantly, we feed them a warm mash of their feed- they think it’s a treat, so eat it up. We give them extra “treats” in the late afternoon of corn or scratch. We also put some dry feed in the coop when we lock them in, only during the cold snaps. This way, they can continue to eat as they see fit either that evening or in the earlier hours before we bring them their daily food. We have a light in the coop for 15 hours of light a day. Tomorrow and Thursday, when it will be the coldest, we will likely just give them food in the coop, assuming they might not venture out. The pop door will be opened for them as long as the winds are not going to blow into the coop. Our run does not have any plastic or wind barriers, but the run and coop are fully behind our barn, and are protected from winds out of the west (the usual wind direction in the winter), but not from any other direction.

So, think about what you can do to help, even if you don’t add heat. Keeping them absolutely draft free (but well ventilated), hydrated, and fed are key aspects to get through this cold snap. A little bit of hay or extra bedding to walk around in won’t hurt either!

I was coming on this forum to ask the same thing! I'm in Wisconsin and the windchill is supposed to get to -55ºF tomorrow. I am wondering if I should shut our automatic door? They haven't been coming outside, but I thought keeping the door shut might help a tiny bit as well. Our coop has fairly deep sawdust and is a molded plastic shed (dead air insulated).

What part of the country are you in @Ninjasquirrel Main thing to help prevent frost bite is ventilation around top of the coop to let out the moisture your flock produces from their poop and breathing.

I know most of my chickens will decided to stay inside and probably my ducks my geese on the other hand usually stay outside even though there are 3 houses they could get into out of the weather. Since they have never experienced this extreme cold since neither are 20 yrs old they may just decided to join the rest of the flock and stay in doors.
We're in northern indiana. Supposed to -20 tonight and tomorrow with windchills to -50. I thought about putting a heat source in the run so they can venture out. Yay or nay? The coop is small for 8 birds and well ventilated so i figure if i just keep them in their body heat will keep them warm. I asked the SO about putting them in the garage...he didn't seem too keen on it

Editted: autocorrect made didn't "did"

Last edited:
Coop is dry and well ventilated. It is not insulated. Deep litter which is kept dry with fresh on top weekly. Run is wrapped with 13 ML and lined with straw. Roof of run is sheet metal
Then they will be fine. They have lots of fluffy down that will help keep them warm. Chickens should not get frostbite at "anything below 30 degrees". My guess would be those chickens are not in a well ventilated coop.

They've also issued a windchill warning. Should i just keep them in the coop and not let them in the run?
I keep the pop door open until the actual temperature is in the teens below zero. They rarely go outside when there is snow on the ground, but it keeps fresh air coming into the coop. I like to think it helps move the moisture out the vented soffits around the top of the coop.

Sometimes it does get so cold that combs and wattles will get frostbite no matter how dry it is in your coop. Large-combed birds are much more susceptible, so I try to keep rose or pea combed chickens instead.

We live in North Dakota, and heating the coop is a waste. It is -10 outside right now, and about 19-20 degrees in my coop. My ladies are fine. A couple even ran outside for a little bit, but for the most part they are just hanging out on their roosts. I have a draft free, un-insulated shed that I converted into a coop. I don't even have a coop door. Don't be afraid of the cold. Your chickens will be fine.... just ask the sparrows sitting on my fence with no fancy coop hotel to call home lol. Oh, I also use the deep litter method for my coop in the winter. Works well and insulates the floor nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_8857.jpg
    IMG_8857.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom