Are all Orpingtons friendly?

All chickens are an individual, and while certain breeds may be renowned for their friendly temperament, you will always find some that are the opposite of their supposed personality. I had two Orpingtons that were super friendly, but my current Orpington hates human attention and screams like you are killing her when you even slightly touch her. I notice a lot of people gravitate toward getting Buff Orpingtons rather than any other color, and I have seen a multitude of individuals believe that Buff was the only variety. This is simply not true, as there are many color varieties of Orpington, while Buff is only the most popular. As a result, there has been much misinformation that Buff Orpingtons are the sole friendly color variety, but in truth the whole Orpington breed is known for being docile-color does not make a personality.

I have 10 lavender and they all peck at each other, my brown buffs, barred rocks, and australorps. I’ll never get them again.
Do you realize that the pecking order exists, which is a social hierarchy that determines the ranking of each chicken in the flock? All chickens peck at each other, it is instinct and something they have to do.

As you know Lavender, Buff, Chocolate, etc. is all just color of the one breed and in general that breed is known as "sweet and friendly." All of mine have been/are indeed sweet and friendly. My oldest chicken that lived to be 7 was a big lady Orpington, top lady of the flock, ruled with kindness... 👑
That's beautiful

Well I just ordered them 🫣 I’m so nervous now! We ordered 1 buff, 1 lavender, 1 red, and 1 blue australorp. Their hatch date is 5/15.
I like Mt. Healthy! I also ordered from them again. Lavender Orpingtons and Columbian Rock Cross. I've never had either breed but have heard great things. I prefer friendly girls.

This was from moving one of my "friendly" Orpington hens.
20240304_142138.jpg
20240304_183931.jpg

Back
Top Bottom