Are all Orpingtons friendly?

Are all varieties of Orpingtons friendly and docile? I realize all individuals are different but as a whole? I think the Lavender Orpingtons are so beautiful 🤩 and we are looking at getting 3 with 3 Buffs.
we adopted a buff Orpington rooster that the previous owner said was mean. He lives in the bachelor pad with two Americanas and two bathums. He's so chill and docile. He's our only too who will let me let him and he loves woddle rubs. He also ours when I give him treats. I love him and we plan to get him a flock of Orpington hens next spring.

They have poor quality birds and regularly send wrong birds and paperwork. The tscs I'm my general area has switched to Ideal or Privett.
Sorry that I missed your reply and thanks for your response. My wife picked up 4 female sexed silver laced Wyandotte chicks from a farm store that gets their chicks from Hoover Hatchery. One turned out to be male , and one of the three pullets grew up to have a single comb instead of the rose comb that Wyandotte chickens should have. For all of that, they have become good hens and the single comb hen is our best layer.

I have the British Chocolate Orpington Heritage Breed. I find she's causing my other birds to not lay because she was so far behind in development. Now, her crop and wattle have just gone red. Current picture :
Please offer Orpington suggestions/your knowledge for me to get her to start laying now. Thanks everyone for your help.
We had only one of our 6 hens laying so we gave them some sardines. Two days later, 4 of them began to lay and by the end of the week all of them were laying. Sardines are packed full of readily accessible protein. The bones don't cause a problem, they are soft, and they add calcium to the diet. You need to find the right ones. Avoid those packed in brine or with added salt. Also avoid the ones packed in tomato sauce. They can be packed in oil or water. Sardines are a good supplement in molt and to kick off egg laying. They are also a good supplement if you live in really cold climates. I would limit sardines to once a week and only during times when they physically need more protein as too much protein isn't good either. Best of luck with the egg laying!

Just a quick tip if you want tame chickens. If your brooding them inside the container that they are in should be clear and in a place where you go a lot so they can see you and get used to you. We put them in a clear tote this year and it made a big difference. Because they see you walking around all day not just when you pick them up or reach in the tote.

Just a quick tip if you want tame chickens. If your brooding them inside the container that they are in should be clear and in a place where you go a lot so they can see you and get used to you. We put them in a clear tote this year and it made a big difference. Because they see you walking around all day not just when you pick them up or reach in the tote.
I like this idea but we have a cat 🐱 who would probably freak them out lol. I do have a spare bedroom we are considering. At least then I could maybe bring them downstairs once we get home and put our cat away.

They have poor quality birds and regularly send wrong birds and paperwork. The tscs I'm my general area has switched to Ideal or Privett.

Our local feed store (NOT a Tractor Supply) orders their chicks from Privett Hatchery. We got a total of 4 Dominiques over the years from there. We have one surviving Dom hen left and she's 6-1/2 yrs old and still laying once in a while. All our Doms from Privett have been peppy, friendly, outgoing, unafraid chicks that grow to be very sweet calm adults. Doms are great birds for cold climates since they have rose combs rather than straight or floppy combs that are prone to frostbite. On really freezy nights she has the good sense to tuck her head into her feathers so there's never been any frostbite damage on her comb or wattles.
DSCN1622.JPG

Our local feed store (NOT a Tractor Supply) orders their chicks from Privett Hatchery. We got a total of 4 Dominiques over the years from there. We have one surviving Dom hen left and she's 6-1/2 yrs old and still laying once in a while. All our Doms from Privett have been peppy, friendly, outgoing, unafraid chicks that grow to be very sweet calm adults. Doms are great birds for cold climates since they have rose combs rather than straight or floppy combs that are prone to frostbite. On really freezy nights she has the good sense to tuck her head into her feathers so there's never been any frostbite damage on her comb or wattles.
View attachment 3769687
Wow my dom is best friends with my barred rock and they both love to escape and explore I totally agree with the personality traits

I honestly suggest easter eggers specifically Americana mixes they are (well my EE and her daughters) are curios and very bouncy ball like they like to chase my hands when chicks the only downside is they aren’t welcoming to new members and can be feisty. This is mom on top dad in middle and baby on bottom
2ED72CE7-AE23-4C28-A9D1-EF70A81847AB.jpeg
F6971055-0F7A-4741-9CBB-EB6B3A8881ED.jpeg
98B16498-380A-42D4-971C-354912CAA913.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom