Are anyone familiar with a moveable chicken run

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Hi I have 4 hens and 1 rooster, in April I’m getting 4 new hens.
I have plenty of space for them all but I would like to know if anyone
have tried to give the hens temporary runs with fence?
If you did, did you have any issues?
Was it electric or not?

I have been thinking of getting some to add to the coop run so they have so much more space to roam in.
I have a hunting dog so they can’t free range.

I have also thought of making them another run so that in the morning I can take them down to the run and they can be there all day until it’s night.
Don’t know what works best but hoping for some good answers

Many people use "chicken tractors" to move chickens to fresh pasture. It is totally doable.

The difficulties are largely in moving them around in muddy weather or on uneven ground. The size, design and weight are all factors in moving a tractor.
Predator proofing is also a big consideration.

They would still need protection from blazing sun and rains no matter the design.

If you are not worried about hawks or things that can hop over fences electric poultry netting can greatly expand daytime use areas.

Many people use "chicken tractors" to move chickens to fresh pasture. It is totally doable.

The difficulties are largely in moving them around in muddy weather or on uneven ground. The size, design and weight are all factors in moving a tractor.
Predator proofing is also a big consideration.

They would still need protection from blazing sun and rains no matter the design.

If you are not worried about hawks or things that can hop over fences electric poultry netting can greatly expand daytime use areas.
Where I life there is almost no haws and other stuff that can jump over the fence, I will also only be using it when I’m home I think.
Do you know if it’s possible to build your own chicken tractor?

Where I life there is almost no haws and other stuff that can jump over the fence, I will also only be using it when I’m home I think.
Do you know if it’s possible to build your own chicken tractor?

It is very possible to build one. In fact they are very simple to construct.
Just one example...

A quick search on here shows TONS of threads on hoop coops/runs. I like this design since they end up about 6' tall with straight sides so plenty of head room for both chickens and humans.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/9955669/?q=Hoop+coop&o=relevance

Better to fence off part of the exsiting run and coop to integrate new birds.
I have also Been thinking of adding the fence to the coop when I add the new birds just so they have more space to roam in and the new hens can get somewhere the old hens can’t😊

Back
Top Bottom