1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Are baby turkeys always really mellow?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by thebirdguy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Songster

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I just got my first turkey poults.. 3 Bourbon Reds.. They are about a week old. My question is... are they really this mellow or should I be worried? These three seem to be on prozac or something... LOL they move slow, they aren't as active as my 4 day old chicks that I have them in with. They don't seem to have a lot of energy like the chicks do, they don't seem to eat as much either... They are feathering out though... This is my first experience with turkey poults so I don't know if this is normal behavior or something I should be concerned about..

Thanks for the help!!

2. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    I would say that they are normally more mellow than the chicks at the same age. I also have bourbon reds. I just hatched 4 BR's and 20 chicks in my classroom over the past 3 days, and everytime a kid would pick up a chick, it would scream bloody murder. If they picked up a turkey, it would just sit there and maybe peep. Love this breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by