Are bald eagles a threat?

Have run enclosed with a tarp on top because of Bald Eagles, hawks, and owls. Chickens are safe, I go out with the dogs (Chihuahuas) armed with a broom. This past spring had a pair of hawks swoop down very close to our heads when we were building the coop.
Saw a eagle swoop down and tried to grab landlord's Great Prynees, Bella (8 years old)weighs 80-90 pounds. But it missed her. The other 2 Prynees gave chase. One Prynees passed away this summer, she was 15 and momma to Bella. Still have 2 Prynees (14 year old one not doing so well) and the Bluetick Hound (chicken killer) patrolling.

There has been at least one, maybe two, bald eagles flying around and I want to know how much of a threat they are to my chickens.

It depends on how hungry the eagle is. Bald Eagles are semi aquatic. This means that they will not nest where they can not see water from the nest sight. Personally I would be much more frightened for my cats, dogs, goat kids, or any lambs I might have.

Your question is a good reason to include your physical location.

A few years ago in one of the PNW states a tree that had a decades old bald eagles nest in it blew down. When the mess was cleaned up they found dozens of cat and dog collars there, a lot of them with the vaccination tag still attached.

Bald eagles are basically scavengers. That doesn't mean that they won't kill it just means that they would rather not go to the trouble. BTW, Red Tailed hawks are little more motivated to hunt for their vittles.

A few years ago in one of the PNW states a tree that had a decades old bald eagles nest in it blew down. When the mess was cleaned up they found dozens of cat and dog collars there, a lot of them with the vaccination tag still attached.

Bald eagles are basically scavengers. That doesn't mean that they won't kill it just means that they would rather not go to the trouble. BTW, Red Tailed hawks are little more motivated to hunt for their vittles.
That is so sad.

Yeah, Bald Eagles aren't really equatable with Redtail Hawks. They'll eat a chicken, sure. But they won't be very motivated to actually hunt for one unless they're quite hungry, they prefer to pick up an easy meal. We have a lot of Bald Eagles here, and Redtail hawks. My birds stay in their run and I've never had one desperate enough to try. We have plenty of small game around.

Back
Top Bottom