Are banty roosters as problematic as full-size? flock ratio advice needed

milamyler

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Linn, MO
I have 7 chickens. Almost 2 mos. old. I call them the Scoobies, and they are a great gang of birds right now.

3 are bantams - and of those 3, 2 turned out to be banty roos. The other banty, Cordie, is the cutest little silkie girl.
My other 4 birds will be regular sized laying hens.

Right now, the roos are sweethearts, but I'm new and paranoid after reading about the agressiveness of multiple roosters.
Also, I don't have the best hen to rooster ratio, but I have to wonder - how does the banty part figure into the proper ratio???

I can't imagine the banty roos inflicting too much harm on the full-sized hens.
I am worried about Cordie, though. If I keep them all together, will she be "abused" as the only banty hen available?

Sitting on plenty of land, so I can keep my roos separate if they become an issue. I'm having a second coop built now because I was not too happy with the pre-fab I bought on a whim anyway.

I also have thought about getting some more banty hens to take the load off poor Cordie, but I'm also paranoid about adding new members to the flock after reading about that!! Do I need more full size hens too? With the new coop, I will be able to easily house 12, and my pre-fab will hold up to 8. They can free range during the day.

Any wise words of experience? Care to make a prediction? The Scoobies and I say thanks in advance!

It will depend on their breeds. We had a Mille Fleur d'Uccle cock and a Golden Sebright cock. They didn't seem to do much damage at all to their female bantam counterparts, and seeing them try anything with the full-sized hens was simply a riot! However, the Sebright cock became VERY aggressive towards us humans so he was culled. The Mille Fleur d'Uccle cock is still with us and he's the sweetest, gentlest, most handsome guy. I'm sure multiple d'Uccle cocks would be fine together, given plenty of room. Not knowing what your cockerels are, though, I can't say how things will be in your situation.

I have 2 roosters and only 7 laying hens and everything is just fine here. One big old White rock rooster, and a young barnyard bantam cockerel. The roos don't fight, although they do chase each other off the hens..so they are hurting my fertility, but not hurting each other or the hens.

Thanks! I'm not sure what breed. Pick them up at a feed store - mixed lot.

Angel looked like a chipmunk when I got him - now this

Dru the Roo looks like this, he's emerald green in the sun:

Just gotta say I love your names! I still watch Buffy on Netflix all the time
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom