are barred rock roosters darker than pullets

I would post pictures before necessarily jumping to that conclusion (due to their age). But as they feather in (and ALL should have SOME kind of barring), the males will appear lighter in color than the females due to barring differences.

I have three.. they hatched march 15th.. on of them I changed her name from Joan Jett < the rocker> to jett Lee.. he is more of a silver barring color, than the girls dark black barring... he also has a bit larger comb not much bigger.. just slightly.. but i tell ya i am wondering now if he isn't gonna be Joan jett? he is absolutely NOT rooster like.. my other 3 roosters < different breeds> all act like teenage roosters..

Im excited to see what Jett turns out to be too.. I sure hope you have more pullets than roos.
)O(
Pink

If it has no bars, I'd suspect a rooster Romeo that strayed into the wrong pen. If it was a red rooster, then your black chick is a girl sexlink (also called a Black Star) and will get some red bleed through on her neck and chest as she matures.

ETA: Hopefully not ALL the chicks are "oopsies" or the others are roos. You really need to post pics. A purebred BR will have even barring w/no red anywhere. Black star roos are barred, but the barring is "broken" and as they mature they get red bleedthrough in places and some of the green feathering in their tales from the red daddy. Did you buy these chicks sexed or straight run?

Last edited:
Quote:
My BR roos were not as "rooish" at that age either. They were closer to 5 months before they started the "testosterone tango," as we call it around here! My other roos (especially the darned bantam cochins ... sheesssh!) were all "I'm so sexy," chest bumping, hackle flairing, evil eying little thugs by 3 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom