Are Cameo peachicks this Peachy? Pics of him & Spaulding, and PBS chic

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
7205_cameo_chick_2.jpg

I was surprised at how peach his feathers are, I thought he'd be lighter. It is a boy... correct?

What do you think of these 2.......?

7205_spaulding_purple_chick.jpg

The one is either a Spaulding or a Java, came from a pen with Java male over 1 Java hen, 1 7/8 Spaulding hen..... so I'm considering it Spaulding.

The other came from Leggs farm, my friend ordered some and this one became ill with stuff it swallowed. I got it better, so it was given to me..... I believe it is a Purple Blackshoulder?

Last edited:
They are adorable. I've absolutely fallen in love with peafowl. I don't have any peacocks, but I have two beautiful Peahens--Buddy and Butter (we thought Buddy was a boy for the longest time, thus the name).

I'm so happy to find a forum for peafowl. I can't get enough information on them.

Quote:
Thanks for this info.
I have a 9 wk old cameo and comparing her to your pics, I wondered why mine was so much darker.
I am new to peas and still confused about the genetics-
I think the breeder said my cameo came from a bs cock and a ib hen.
If so, would mine be a bs cameo if she has solid wings ?
Or did I misunderstand- can a bs and ib produce a cameo?

Quote:
Thanks for this info.
I have a 9 wk old cameo and comparing her to your pics, I wondered why mine was so much darker.
I am new to peas and still confused about the genetics-
I think the breeder said my cameo came from a bs cock and a ib hen.
If so, would mine be a bs cameo if she has solid wings ?
Or did I misunderstand- can a bs and ib produce a cameo?

nope a normal bs and normal blue cant just make cameos.
Now if it were a cameo bs male to indian blue, it can, would be female, as they are sexlinked, meaning if female, she's just cameo cant be a split like the males.. Males from that breeding would be india blue split to cameo..
black shoulder peahens are also white with black markings, wont be normal body colored like the males. Cameos do have solidish wings to start with.
If she's tan, she's not a black shoulder.
Got a pic of her?

Here's a black shoulder midnight hen, all black shoulder hens will look similar to this

IMG_1951.jpg

heres a coming 2 year old set of cameos. Everytime the molt, they will come out near chocolate breasted, as the year progress's especially if they are kept in the sun, they will be faded out til near cream colored by fall when the molt again

IMG_1957.jpg

These are the ones Chickenzoos chick came from

Last edited:
love.gif
Interesting how different they look as chicks.....
big_smile.png
You didn't happen to get an exra girl chicks did ya.....
wink.png
We'll maybe next year....... now I need more gals... for my Cameo SP & now this little boy, hehe
On the Purple BS when can you sex them? And the Spaulding... well it will take a few years to sex it... correct?

Last edited:
never had any purples, so not sure, would think fairly soon, few months as soon as the hens and males start changing colors, hens will stay whiteer males will start getting a lot of black on them.
Correct on hi spauldings though, if they are mainly greens, it's tuff

Only have a coming 2 cameo hen, didnt want to sell her, but, for you.....

Back
Top Bottom