are chickens less active in winter?

It's probably because of the dark shed, but mine are fairly inactive during the winter. Ours are allowed to free range, but they hate the snow. Today we got about half a foot, the first snow storm of the year. :) but they don't even like it if there is one inch.

Okay, here's my answer. My flock are lazy and spoiled rotten. It can be bright sun and no wind, but if it's in the 40s or below, forget it. They aren't budging out of their comfort zone which happens to be a covered run with translucent roof panels to let in sunlight and full length glass side panels on the south and north so as the sun shines in, they can dirt bathe and sun bathe and lounge without having to expose their sensitive constitutions to slightly uncomfortably cool temps.

They are perfectly able to get out and scratch around, but they just prefer not to.

They also pointedly ignore me as I'm shoveling snow from around the coops and run so I can administer to their needs. Ingrates.

It's probably because of the dark shed, but mine are fairly inactive during the winter. Ours are allowed to free range, but they hate the snow. Today we got about half a foot, the first snow storm of the year. :) but they don't even like it if there is one inch.

Chickens don't like to walk on snow. If you spread some straw on top of the snow, they'll come out and walk on that.

Back
Top Bottom