are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
Never realized how good of 'pets' they can be. I have 4 hens and keep them as 'extra free-range' chickens. I live in an apartment and converted my outside storage closet to a coop. There are lots of wild chickens in the neighborhood, and I've trained mine to roam freely around the neighborhood like the wild ones, but mine return to the coop to roost and lay their eggs. They will also come running like a good obedient dog would, whenever I go outside and 'whistle' for them. I think they would be even better pets then the traditional dog or cat, if only they didn't have that spontaneous pooping issue. Chickens are very smart and are interestingly similar to people in their social relationships, I never knew how much could be learned just by observing chicken behavior. I have some pictures and video of my 'extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets' here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets

Never realized how good of 'pets' they can be.  I have 4 hens and keep them as 'extra free-range' chickens.  I live in an apartment and converted my outside storage closet to a coop.  There are lots of wild chickens in the neighborhood, and I've trained mine to roam freely around the neighborhood like the wild ones, but mine return to the coop to roost and lay their eggs.  They will also come running like a good obedient dog would, whenever I go outside and 'whistle' for them.  I think they would be even better pets then the traditional dog or cat, if only they didn't have that spontaneous pooping issue.  Chickens are very smart and are interestingly similar to people in their social relationships, I never knew how much could be learned just by observing chicken behavior.  I have some pictures and video of my 'extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets' here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets

What a great video, I love how they come running to you, so cute. Thanks for sharing.

OK, folks. Lots of people have enjoyed this thread, so it will be re-opened.

However, just as a reminder, Please:

- Do not respond to inappropriate posts.
- Do not respond to trolling.
- Do not engage those who post in a flaming manner.
- This merely causes more problems and creates more cleanup work for the moderation staff.

Please DO use the report icon.

Overtly political or religious posts are highly discouraged, as per BYC rules. Thanks for your cooperation.

BYC Moderation Staff

Last edited:
Never realized how good of 'pets' they can be. I have 4 hens and keep them as 'extra free-range' chickens. I live in an apartment and converted my outside storage closet to a coop. There are lots of wild chickens in the neighborhood, and I've trained mine to roam freely around the neighborhood like the wild ones, but mine return to the coop to roost and lay their eggs. They will also come running like a good obedient dog would, whenever I go outside and 'whistle' for them. I think they would be even better pets then the traditional dog or cat, if only they didn't have that spontaneous pooping issue. Chickens are very smart and are interestingly similar to people in their social relationships, I never knew how much could be learned just by observing chicken behavior. I have some pictures and video of my 'extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets' here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets

Fun to watch your 'extra-free-ranging-apartment-chicken-pets' but you shoulda called your flock somethin' that'd make a better acronym (EFRACP just doesn't cut it, and I'm still not so sure I typed that right ~'-)

"Keep your laws off my chicken." ~ Eric Cartman

I share your inquisitive nature, and it's among my favorite reasons to have chickens. The mixture of twenty-six that I have allows me to not only enjoy the individual personalities that keep peckin' their way through my armor, but the general temperment of the various breeds that I have. And, that's why I'm in trouble here ... already planning additional chicken and guinea houses peppered around this farm, and began fencing in several more acres, and tryin' my best to resist refilling that brooder before Spring ... see what over-thinkin' gets ya?

I really thought about seeing how easy it would be to potty train on of my hens. Just haven't yet.

I really thought about seeing how easy it would be to potty train on of my hens. Just haven't yet.

Years ago, I had parakeets that almost always used the paper plates that I'd put on top of my too many bookcases. And, at the same time, two cats that used the toilet (never ever do that one, unless you have at least two bathrooms ~'-)

That 'almost always' mighta been similar to that 1 outta every 8-10 times that the chicken's comes from the caecum, which I wonder if they even have the ability to control ...

I have seriously considered investing in some chicken diapers just so I can bring my birdies in the house when they're injured or ill. I've see lots of pictures of people with house chickens who wear the diapers full-time

Are you serious? You can really buy chicken diapers??
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom