Are chipmunk chicks that develop black breast feathers always cockerels?

peachini44

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
Longtime lurker, first time poster!

I have a sexing by color pattern question. I have a sweet Easter egger chick that is from a "blue layer mix" hen X opal legbar roo. I received as a hatching egg and was told chicks would be lavender or a blue or black split for lavender and likely lay as an easter egger.

This chick hatched out a beautiful little chipmunk pattern with pretty well defined stripes, head blaze, and liner. Very nice rich colors! It looked pullet-ish based on what I could find on the forum for chipmunk chicks, has the thin legs, very reserved and clings to broody mom. Tiny pea comb, but this is my first experience with pea comb chickens and I've gathered they're generally small at this age anyway. However, now at 3.5 weeks black is definitely coming in on the breast (and pretty much every where else, looks like the head too). From what I've read this points to cockerel. The black is also dull and maybe even a very dark dull brown. The wings are dull brown but patterned at the shoulder with a light stripe down the center of each feather and then partridge/wild type on the flight feathers.

Do the standard chipmunk/duckwing sex patterning rules apply to this mix? I couldn't find any pictures of pullets or hens with black breasts for easter eggers (unless an all black hen) so I am worried as of course this chick is one of my favorites!

I would post picture but I am trying to figure out how in the meantime. The wings sort of look like wild type/duckwing but I am new to this coloration and not entirely sure what they are termed.

Any thoughts?

To post pictures click "attach files". If you are on phone you can pick a picture out of your camera roll. If you are on laptop, email the pictures to yourself then download them, you will then be able to click them in your file explorer when you attach files. We will need pictures to help you.

Thank you! So excited to finally join, such a wealth of info here :)

Okay, I am on mobile and see it now! Here are some from today. I can't tell if it is uploading one or all, so if only one picture appears more are coming. Would pics at a few days old be helpful too?

Attachments

• PXL_20201217_220734762.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201217_220734762.PORTRAIT.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 59

Okay, I am on mobile and see it now! Here are some from today. I can't tell if it is uploading one or all, so if only one picture appears more are coming. Would pics at a few days old be helpful too?
he is to young to sex, wait a few weeks and post again. some signs of a cockerel are: large red comb, thick legs, male specific feathering begins to show up around 8 weeks at the earliest but more close to 12 or 13. if i had to guess i would say pullet because it has pretty consistent coloring and pattern but thats just a guess.

I don't see any comb development. I am not sure about the pattern.

Back
Top Bottom