Are crested chicks (polish, crevecour, appenzaller etc.) Hard to raise?

Sighs my brown one is dying. Had been doing great. Was moving earlier now it’s lethargic, barely moves it’s head and just cheeps. Smh. It’s about 5 days old.
I’m giving up on this breed. Their fragility is too much. 😞

I raise Crevecoeurs. They have a seperate coop and run. And for us they have to, keeping them pure breeding and such, but also because I find them to be very delicate compared with the other breeds we have. Creves do have a vaulted skull so there's that but I also find that the hens especially are prone to picking up whatever calamity they can find. Have yet to lose a rooster, though that time I am sure is coming. I have lost 80 percent of my hens in the past 3 years. And these birds were from three different sources. Everytime I think I have the problem figured out some new way to die pops up. Hoping to find another source with perhaps hardier stock.

Oh wow. That really sucks because I do like the looks of the "wild haired" ones. lol
"Some new way to die"! lol Poor things.
Have you tried local or semi local breeders maybe?? I wonder if the hatcheries just have worse/low genetics vs healthier, farms.

Back
Top Bottom