Are crested chicks (polish, crevecour, appenzaller etc.) Hard to raise?

Mar 3, 2023
I have 1 polish hen and thats the only crested chicken i own. Im getting an appenzaller and polish this next week. I ordered them along with other breeds but im wondering if they are commonly sick or have health issues?

Attachments

• 20220602_142841.jpg
    20220602_142841.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 29
My understanding is that Appenzellers and Polish have different kinds of crests that are caused by different genes. Appenzellers have a more swept back crest that I have read does not affect their vision much if at all. Polish need their crests trimmed so they can see well. They can also be more flighty when they can’t see. Polish chicks can be quite delicate if they have a vaulted skull where the crest makes it so the skull is not closed all the way when they’re little. A misplaced peck can kill them. You also need to check for mites in the crests in both breeds. I’m unaware of other health issues, other folks might be able to answer better.

Mine all appear to be sturdy, but they tend to be bullied if their crests are too large to see past. And like above, a hard peck to a vault can cause a lot of damage. I had a pullet that got hit there by another bird and she was comatose for a few days and never quite 100% there afterwards. Still sweet as pie and got along great with the others, but she couldn't be free ranged

My understanding is that Appenzellers and Polish have different kinds of crests that are caused by different genes. Appenzellers have a more swept back crest that I have read does not affect their vision much if at all. Polish need their crests trimmed so they can see well. They can also be more flighty when they can’t see. Polish chicks can be quite delicate if they have a vaulted skull where the crest makes it so the skull is not closed all the way when they’re little. A misplaced peck can kill them. You also need to check for mites in the crests in both breeds. I’m unaware of other health issues, other folks might be able to answer better.
Thanks!

Mine all appear to be sturdy, but they tend to be bullied if their crests are too large to see past. And like above, a hard peck to a vault can cause a lot of damage. I had a pullet that got hit there by another bird and she was comatose for a few days and never quite 100% there afterwards. Still sweet as pie and got along great with the others, but she couldn't be free ranged
Thankyou!

My Polish aren’t bullied in our large flock, but I find them horribly delicate to raise. Hoping my home bred ones are easier 🤞🏼
I was curious about that myself.
Our first chick loss was this week & it was one of my 2 polish. 5 days old. (Thought maybe the bigger chicks had starved/dehydrated them. As they were being trampled. Moved them asap.)
But we got some more tonight & one just seems really fragile already. And the one that's a week old, doesn't seem extremely strong either. Unlike my speckled sussex that's the same age.

I was curious about that myself.
Our first chick loss was this week & it was one of my 2 polish. 5 days old. (Thought maybe the bigger chicks had starved/dehydrated them. As they were being trampled. Moved them asap.)
But we got some more tonight & one just seems really fragile already. And the one that's a week old, doesn't seem extremely strong either. Unlike my speckled sussex that's the same age.
Sorry to hear that. I just got my 15 chicks today, all of them seem healthy, none DOA, i only got 1 polish but she seems fine. On the other hand my 1 appenzaller spitzhauben is not doing to well. Lethargic and isnt eating kr drinking, the others are. Shes wobbling and tipping a lot, she doesnt have curled toes or the leg split thing eaither so idk

Sorry to hear that. I just got my 15 chicks today, all of them seem healthy, none DOA, i only got 1 polish but she seems fine. On the other hand my 1 appenzaller spitzhauben is not doing to well. Lethargic and isnt eating kr drinking, the others are. Shes wobbling and tipping a lot, she doesnt have curled toes or the leg split thing eaither so idk
My one is a bit on the wobbly side and kind of unstable. (It about drowned it self trying to drink earlier. Which I thought was odd.)
It's scared my hubby earlier bc of the position it was laying in, but it was still alive. lol

Back
Top Bottom