Are crested chicks (polish, crevecour, appenzaller etc.) Hard to raise?

Mar 3, 2023
I have 1 polish hen and thats the only crested chicken i own. Im getting an appenzaller and polish this next week. I ordered them along with other breeds but im wondering if they are commonly sick or have health issues?

Attachments

• 20220602_142841.jpg
    20220602_142841.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 29
My Polish aren’t bullied in our large flock, but I find them horribly delicate to raise. Hoping my home bred ones are easier 🤞🏼
I was curious about that myself.
Our first chick loss was this week & it was one of my 2 polish. 5 days old. (Thought maybe the bigger chicks had starved/dehydrated them. As they were being trampled. Moved them asap.)
But we got some more tonight & one just seems really fragile already. And the one that's a week old, doesn't seem extremely strong either. Unlike my speckled sussex that's the same age.

I was curious about that myself.
Our first chick loss was this week & it was one of my 2 polish. 5 days old. (Thought maybe the bigger chicks had starved/dehydrated them. As they were being trampled. Moved them asap.)
But we got some more tonight & one just seems really fragile already. And the one that's a week old, doesn't seem extremely strong either. Unlike my speckled sussex that's the same age.
Sorry to hear that. I just got my 15 chicks today, all of them seem healthy, none DOA, i only got 1 polish but she seems fine. On the other hand my 1 appenzaller spitzhauben is not doing to well. Lethargic and isnt eating kr drinking, the others are. Shes wobbling and tipping a lot, she doesnt have curled toes or the leg split thing eaither so idk

I’ve switched to a unmedicated high protein mash from the local mill and I’m hoping to see if that helps with the nutritional deficiencies 🤞🏼 It’s a pain to get, but have to give it just one more go…
I hope it helps! Sounds like good stuff!! 😍 I have one buff laced polish girl left…fingers double crossed that she makes it past her 4 month birthday 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Mine all appear to be sturdy, but they tend to be bullied if their crests are too large to see past. And like above, a hard peck to a vault can cause a lot of damage. I had a pullet that got hit there by another bird and she was comatose for a few days and never quite 100% there afterwards. Still sweet as pie and got along great with the others, but she couldn't be free ranged

Back
Top Bottom