Are descendants of fighting cocks mean natuarly?

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

What are these "signs of aggression"? How long has he been with you now? Are there other flock members?

To me... fighting cocks are known to be cock aggressive not human aggressive and each bird is an individual. Are there kids involved? Was this cockerel hand raised and do you know how old he is? How do you interact with him?

:fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

What are these "signs of aggression"? How long has he been with you now? Are there other flock members?

To me... fighting cocks are known to be cock aggressive not human aggressive and each bird is an individual. Are there kids involved? Was this cockerel hand raised and do you know how old he is? How do you interact with him?

:fl
Well he is about4 mo. Old now and I interact within all day long as he roams freely during day. He started recently whenever I turn my back he runs at my back flapping his wings and acting like he wants to attack. He did peck the top of my foot when I was wearing open shoes. As for other chickens yes but they have their own coop next door but occasionally come visit and try his food.lol we have had him 6 or 7 weeks

In my teens, I had several fighting gamecocks and never had a single one exhibit aggressiveness towards humans.

Yes you should be worried.
Games should not be human aggressive. It's something that has or should of bred away from.
Any game breeder worth anything wouldn't have human aggressive birds in their breeding. If he's from a long line of "fighters" either his behavior is breeder stupidity or a result of something other then his breed. Either way not a rooster I'd want around.

Well he is about4 mo. Old now and I interact within all day long as he roams freely during day. He started recently whenever I turn my back he runs at my back flapping his wings and acting like he wants to attack. He did peck the top of my foot when I was wearing open shoes. As for other chickens yes but they have their own coop next door but occasionally come visit and try his food.lol we have had him 6 or 7 weeks
Okay, no misunderstanding that behavior. An attack to your back is aggression. His age indicates it could be partly hormonal stupidity... but I've raised dozens (maybe 100) and only been attacked like that once. It usually escalates. :hmm

Those who were testing their place would usually try dropping a shoulder towards me. A strong correction usually stops that thought. But for those with intent, just makes them more determined.

Some folks on here will swear buy holding them and walking around while you do chores. You can look up rooster training.. beware lot's of very poor advice. :fl

Yes you should be worried.
Games should not be human aggressive. It's something that has or should of bred away from.
Any game breeder worth anything wouldn't have human aggressive birds in their breeding. If he's from a long line of "fighters" either his behavior is breeder stupidity or a result of something other then his breed. Either way not a rooster I'd want around.
X2

No game cock should attack you, and if he does, you should be concerned. I would recommend freezer camp. There are plenty of fine replacements out there.

Back
Top Bottom