1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are ducks and ducklings loud?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaylove, May 12, 2011.

1. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    are they loud and noisy?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not until the lady ducks get their quack on.

The females have a loud QUACK and the males have a softer, more quiet, raspy sort of quack sound. Once they get past the peeping and whistling stage, you can tell the sex by listening to them quack or not.

Call ducks are really rather quite loud, because they were bred to "call" to other ducks, as living decoys.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I agree with gryeyes 100% and I LOVE the way she stated it. [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree, also. We have 11 girls and when it's time for food or treats, their quacking is deafening. We also have a white crested, Cindy, who will stand at the back door and quack so loud you can hear it in all ends of the house.

i love the raspy sound that drakes make. But we rehomed ours when he got too rough with the girls.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    are ducks and ducklings loud?

Unless you have muscovy ducks, YES.​

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes ducklings and ducks are very loud especially when you separate them if you have more than one. They do quiet down at times but when you talk to them or give them food they are very loud. But all that loudness is made up for cuteness.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by