Are ducks for me?

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
Hello all! My family and I purchased chickens a bit over a year ago, and we've moved to a new house that backs up to a creek. The creek is generating mosquito's, and I'm running across information that leads me to believe that ducks might be good for mosquito control - is this accurate? Will they truly make a sizable dent in the local population, or am I kidding myself?

Also, if I allow them to free range (which would include the creek), will they stick around, or will they become wild?

Finally, breeds to consider? We have 2 acres (including the house), so space shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Muscovys are great mosquito controllers they can free range but need protection over night or they will be gone pretty quick. Feed them close to their coop and they will stick around. They do love to fly though so once they grow in their flight feathers they will need them clipped to keep them grounded. Even free range they are still vunerable to predation just like chickens but many of us do free range our birds.

I'm not sure how well ducks will do for a creek, sure they will eat some larvae but it won't put a stop to all of the mosquitos. You will need to feed them only at the duck house, otherwise they won't come back at night. If they aren't protected at night you will quickly loose all of your ducks.

I have muscovies, they love to stand in the dirtiest pool and dig around for goodies. A quick wing clip will keep them grounded, so many pet muscovies fly off and end up in the wild population.

Do you actually want ducks? Is controlling the mosquitos the only thing you want them for? They are messy, but worth it to me.

Don't let them become another unwanted problem, make sure you actually want them.

I have four ducks and two drakes and I'm looking for more females to even out the numbers.

Photo Editor-20190228_130504.jpg

Photo Editor-20190228_131316.jpg

The ducks.
Photo Editor-20190228_125810.jpg

And the drakes.
Photo Editor-20190228_125823.jpg

I'm not sure how well ducks will do for a creek, sure they will eat some larvae but it won't put a stop to all of the mosquitos. You will need to feed them only at the duck house, otherwise they won't come back at night. If they aren't protected at night you will quickly loose all of your ducks.

I have muscovies, they love to stand in the dirtiest pool and dig around for goodies. A quick wing clip will keep them grounded, so many pet muscovies fly off and end up in the wild population.

How frequently do their wings need trimming?

Do you actually want ducks? Is controlling the mosquitos the only thing you want them for? They are messy, but worth it to me.

I like having fresh eggs from my chickens, and the added benefit of insect control seems like a plus. Messy isn’t an issue, they’ll be in a spot where it’s already messy.

Don't let them become another unwanted problem, make sure you actually want them.

I have four ducks and two drakes and I'm looking for more females to even out the numbers.

View attachment 1687643

View attachment 1687644

The ducks.
View attachment 1687645
And the drakes.
View attachment 1687646

Bats are very good at devouring mosquitoes. You can attract them by mounting a bat house in a tree or other elevated place near your creek. They require no maintenance. Their house should be located somewhere where their guano won’t be a problem for the stream, animals, or humans. Bats can carry rabies, as can many other wild animals, so a bat house should be located to minimize interactions between bats and humans or other animals. Bats are indigenous to many places, so putting up a bat house allows you to encourage them to live where you want them to instead of wherever they currently live.

If I didn’t have other reasons to want ducks, I would probably not get them just for mosquitoe control.

Back
Top Bottom