Are EE eggs as hard to see through as brown ones are?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macmama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I just tried to candle (day 5) and I have a really crappy flashlight, but I thought I'd at least be able to see into my blue EE eggs. Nope. [​IMG] I could clearly see veining in my one very light SL egg (it's almost white), but I couldn't see anything in my brown eggs. All I saw in my EE eggs was the outline of the yolk... but no veining. Are they duds? Or are blue eggs deceivingly hard to see into?

I could just barely see veining in my last hatch at day 12, but I did see movement (and all 5 ended up hatching) Please tell it's the flashlight and not the eggs...

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    It's pretty hard to candle a green/blue eggs. I've tryed and it just don't work! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PaintedDreams

PaintedDreams Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Southern TN
    I agree. I have hatch EE eggs 3 times in the incubator and not once have I been able to see anything when I have candled.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You'll just have to wait and see what [​IMG]! [​IMG]

5. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Weird... I candled one last night and I could see the blood veins. [​IMG]

6. Chickaholic

Chickaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Snohomish, Wa
    Green/Blue eggs are hard to see through and I don't know why. I have some now, that are almost set to lockdown, that have been hard to see into, I can at least see movement in them, but wait til day 10 to candle and use a very bright light and wait til its pitch black outside. A little easier than the Marans eggs that I have in with them, but still harder to see in than a regular brown or white egg. Just be patient I know it's hard but most likely rewarding too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] GOOD LUCK [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Harder, in my experience.

I hatched out several BO, and sexlink, and even some Cuckoo Marans brown eggs, and most of them I could candle ENOUGH to tell if they were developing. I hatched out a few big green EE eggs, and they were harder than the brown eggs to candle in my opinion (though the 3 clears that I pulled WERE in fact clears so I guess it's not impossible)

8. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Oh good! Thanks guys, I'll just wait until day 10 or 12 to see movement. I got the eggs from a breeder down the street, and with my last hatch 5/5 ended up hatching out, so I figured it was me and not the 3 EE eggs. I'm going to Home Depot today to get a spotlight or a high-powered flashlight.

Is it weird that I could see the outline of the yolk though? I never saw that in my brown eggs (of course, I never saw clear veining in them either-- just hints of movement)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by