are game/fighters a breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
ok here in NE oklahoma people still have fighting cocks. I know there have to be fights that go on some times, but for the most part hicks like how little care it takes to keep them.

I like them for their color, and how tuff they are. all of the ones I have ever seen are kinda wild. just about everyone and everything leaves a broody hen alone.

but I was woundering if there is a breed that cock fights use? around here they call them game birds or game chickens. and I was looking at the ideal poltry web site the other day, and I notes some breeds you have to get pullets with the cocks.

I'm thinking about getting some from a friend of a friend.

They are generalized as American Game, with various family/color names making up a particular "line" (none of which matters, in the end they all American Game).

Hatcheries don't carry them (that I know of). Your best bet would be to get a few from your friend of a friend.
smile.png

I have a few myself.
big_smile.png

ETA: The breed page contains some good information on them! https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/american_game/7779

Last edited:
I actually knew someone that was into cock fighting and those are some of the most vicious birds I have ever seen.

hide.gif

Cuban is right. They're generally called American Game, American Gamefowl, etc.

Would probably be best to purchase from friends of yours. They look no better than broilers to me, but each person has their own preferences.

Hatch, Greys, Roundheads, Whitehackles, and Kelsos were a few. It is against the law to fight chickens nowadays. The game fowl in hatcheries are for show nowadays. Back in early America during the time of our nations declaration of independance it was very popular.

Speaking of shows....since you're in NE OK (howdy neighbor!) you may want to come to the Tulsa State Fair poultry show! It starts tomorrow, but the birds are being cooped in tonight.

Howdy right back
smile.png
I don't know if I'll make it to the fair, but I'm hoping to. a friend of my brothers is showing a herford in FFA, so we mite make it out there. bring on the BEEF! and the dairy goats and chickens ofcorse.

the color, the flair, I really do love them.
thanks all

From the rules: 2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom