Are gamefowl mean?

According to my nice rooster 'poll,' game roos tend to run on the non-aggressive side, actually. At least, toward humans.

Games
Good 100+ Okay 1 Bad 2

Quote:​

Our rooster is an OEGB with - sadly - a fighting background. Knowing this, I have had serious concerns about his temperment but have (thusfar) been nothing but pleasantly surprised. He's never once even acted like he wanted to get feisty with any of us, although he did puff up at our doxie a time or two - the term "boundaries" means nothing to her.

I hear some of these horror stories about roosters and their agressiveness and I couldn't imagine having a rooster that I (or my kids) were afraid of.

He keeps his distance, looks after the girls (they are orpingtons), isn't rough on them when mating, doesn't crow excessively and is an all around wonderful boy. And he's pretty too. (I think so, anyway)
big_smile.png

100_0485.jpg

At this point, it seems we have certainly scored a winner.

Quote:
Just wanted to say he isn't a OEGB, for a few reasons. He has blue legs, he's a large fowl, and OEGB wouldn't have a fighting background since they're not exactly a game. I think he's a American game. Love those greys!

Do you have any idea how long it took us to figure out what we thought he was?

It's close enough.
lol.png

Quote:
Unlikely. Junglefowls - even from hatcheries, you can tell when you cross them with something. I ordered some from ideal and let them mix with my free ranging games, they were wild birds and even 5 generations to the games side didn't change their nature. They were very slender bodied and never carried themselves like he does.

Quote:
He definitely appears to be an american game; a young stag to(probably close to a year old). As a general rule, American Games are gentle whith people and only agresive(Territorial) with another cocks to the point of fighting till death if none of the two back down(and this preaty much will not hapen if they are pure, only when they have been mix someware in the background with non games, will they fail to defend theire territory) I understand your concern, but there is nothing horrible about this, is just the natural instinct of the bird and the way nature intended it to be. You just have to love them like they are and know that if you are going to rightfully keep them, you will have to separate them at maturity if you dont want all your hard work and money invested on them, to just go down the toilet in a few minutes, specialy if you show them. Again, as a general rule, they are good with people and very gentle with the hens. I've seen a Rode Island Red, gang up on a hen very agressively to mate her and kill her on the spot because of the brutality of its aproach. I've also seen the same cock spure and injure one of my friend's grandsons, and I've also seen the same cock fight a white cornish cock very agresively for a good wile to the point that my friend had to separate them in different coops. Modern breeders have breed the gamenes of the cock out, in an atempt to use it for different purposes and thats also ok, just as it is ok for the bird to be game, however, the natural instinct is there even after years of breeding out the gameness; you just need to be around chicken long enough to know this. There is many wrong ideas about gamecocks out there. Is my intention to try to help you undertand that, and if you are afraid of them(which you realy shouldn't), or cant deal with the work it will take to keep them separated, you shoul definitely keep some other breed. However, I will encourage you to get a pair of games from a reputable breeder and just enjoy having them; they are realy sweet birds with people(as a general rule), very proud as well and beautyfull.

My best regards to you.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom