Are German Shepherds Aggressive...?

It’s all in how they are raised!
A German shepherd would be a wonderful farm dog!
They are very smart and need mental stimulation though, so you’ll need to be able to provide that for them otherwise they will get into trouble ie. chew stuff, wreck things.. ect.

For the most part German Shepherds really need dedicated obedience training, because of the way the breed has been selectively bred they really need the structure. You might still try to find a breeder that is breeding not only for physical traits, but for personality and trainability as well. I would make sure you can find someone in your area that is experienced in training them properly before deciding to get one, unless you are super experienced in training dogs. Just my opinion, I always err on the side of caution when it comes to dog breeds that are prone to be especially protective or aggressive, they have to listen to your commands. I definitely think a lot of it is how they are raised, but some of it also comes from selective breeding over the years. Consistent, structured training really is the key IMO.

GSD's are wonderful dogs. They are herding/working dogs so need structure and a 'job' to be happy. If you don't give them a job, they will find one themselves, maybe one you don't like. They are smart and trainable, that's one of the reasons they are used for police work. Like any dog they can turn out badly in the wrong hands, and breeding matters. And like people, they are individuals, personality and temperament varies. It all depends on what you want in a dog.

Undersocialized dogs will be wary and even aggressive no matter the breed. Who is this new person? I don’t know who they are or if they are safe, and they are on my territory.
It is crucial to get a puppy and socialize it extremely well. German shepherds can be aggressive, but you can take extra precautions to keep people safe or to stop the aggression in the first place. My family was talking to a police officer one day and he said most of the attacks from dogs he faces are from German shepherds. However, there are sweet German shepherds in the world.
Collies and aussies are great choices if you want a smart dog that you can train quickly and easily. I trained my collie to sit on the very first day I got him as a 12 week old puppy. He is so smart and great protection. Just the other day he wouldn’t let the UPS man on the porch, although he usually loves UPS men and follows them to the truck and peeks in the back. He didn’t bite or growl, just kept moving in front of him. He keeps predators away from the chickens and keeps the deer away from the garden. A collie would be another great choice for you!

Thank you for your info! I actually have an Aussie of my own, and have thought about a collie... but I'm not sure I could keep up with their grooming needs ;) I appreciate all the suggestions!!

Thank you everybody for your amazing responses!! I'm liking the idea of a GSD more and more. I think they are such amazing dogs. I have had Aussies in the past... and have a male now as a pet, and that's why I fell in love with the shepherds!

Thanks again! I would love to hear more about them!

It's very individual, and then, define 'aggressive'. They aren't Labradors, but then again, I've met some awful labs too!
Getting healthy in mind and body both is tricky/ difficult, but that's also true of many other breeds.
Shepherds SHED, year round, more than labs. More!
They are difficult to find in rescue groups, and absolutely to be avoided through puppy mills/ pet shops. At a breeder's, you need to meet adult relatives, and carefully select friendly, not shy.
Good luck!
Mary

Thank you! I would definitely get a puppy, and I would find a local breeder! Don't want to get mixed up in that puppy mill stuff :(

It’s all in how they are raised!
A German shepherd would be a wonderful farm dog!
They are very smart and need mental stimulation though, so you’ll need to be able to provide that for them otherwise they will get into trouble ie. chew stuff, wreck things.. ect.

We have a small hobby farm! I think, though, that that's another reason why my mom was kind of weary... she heard they have a very strong prey drive (which all dogs have... but she was worried that a GSD would have a stronger drive to go after our goats or sheep?)

My dad had two when he was a kid (And yeah, they were his dogs. He was the kid of a rich farmer.) He claims that they're very much one-person dogs, so you might want to consider whether you're the person the dog would prefer. He might like your mother or father better, and then where would you be?

The second one hated everyone who wasn't Dad, the first one was fine. Neither had any problem with their livestock, ever, though one (can't remember which one) did need trained not to chase deer.

Yes, GSD can have a strong prey drive and want to chase things, more small critters (cats and chickens) than bigger ones like goats and sheep. But not all GSD have this. Some are more laid back than others.

I recommend finding a good GSD rescue group in your area, because they will take the time to get to know you, your family, and what you need in a dog, and they will have fostered adult dogs and puppies, so they can match you with the right dog. Be honest and up front with them about your needs and situation. Meet a couple dogs before committing. A good rescue group will provide support before, during and after adoption, to the mutual benefit of you and the dog.

We have a small hobby farm! I think, though, that that's another reason why my mom was kind of weary... she heard they have a very strong prey drive (which all dogs have... but she was worried that a GSD would have a stronger drive to go after our goats or sheep?)
They are herding dogs, so prey drive isn't usually a problem. GSD's are extremely loyal but do need early training with an experienced person (training you to train the dog). Also, you must be very careful about the breeding and be sure the dog's hips have been vet checked. BTW, as far as prey drive, my 7 lb Yorkie has more kills under his belt than most big dogs, He's fearless and most of his kills have been larger than he is. My GSD never killed the first thing. I did work with a professional trainer when he was a pup, but they are easy to train b/c they live to please their owner. One more thing, NEVER slap or hit a dog under any circumstances other than life or death. Just my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom