Are Goslings supposed to be mean?

Sadly he is our only goose at the moment, but he has been bonding and become friends with our Muscovy Drake so they tend to spend time together when out.

He's only in a pen at thr moment as we have hawks and I'm worried they'll make off with the yellow fluff even though its the size of a chicken near-abouts.

I mqy move him closer to the chickens, but we've noticed 1 of our brown Isa's does try to pick on him theough the fence when the ladies get their free-range. Usually she gets put back in the chook house until everyone goes back again as punishment and she hasn't done it in a while.

Once we move I plan to do 2 enclosures, 1 for our chooks as they've always had, but bigger. And a same sized one as them for our 2 Ducks + Goose as they will have the addition of pools etc.

Would housing him with our Ducks be the best flock? We don't really let our Ducks 'live' with our chickens because Pogo only has 1 Hen currently (hoping to change this once we move, but we'reexpecting 8 eggs to hatch soon), and she does not like the chickens as she's always been our 'wild' personality duck.

I've seen her every day talking to Punter also through his enclosure as she only comes off her nest 1x a day for a swim (pool is nearest to Punter). So I'd say she'd get along with him also from seeing him everyday thr last 3 weeks.

@Goosebaby I will definitely try that! We free-range every day when we can so I'll let him interact more.

His (or her I just call him a He) permanent living will hopefully be with our Muscovies. But I'd like to be able to free-range an "sky alert dog" with them as we have hawks etc and hope to hatch babies from both ducks and chooks.

Edit// I will eventually add another Goose, this was in all honesty a spontaneous decision while visiting friends. The lady offered us a 2nd gosling, but we'd had to have waited another day for a full hatch and had to be home already after 2 full days away etc.
*dont trust anyone to feed the chooks or guinea piggos so we couldnt go long.

Back
Top Bottom