Are guinea considered "poultry?"

Hoover67

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Huntsville
....what exactly is the definition of poultry?

.....................just curious! My friend's neighborhood covenant does not allow "poultry" even though she is in the county. She wanted to get some guineas to control the bugs in her rather large garden. She is also an organic gardener so she thought that since she would not be raising them to eat or necessarily to provide eggs that she may be able to get around the covenant. Of course I think she should get them...if it does not work out, I will take them
big_smile.png

Last edited:
from dictionary.com

poul·try - Spelled Pronunciation[pohl-tree] Pronunciation Key -
–noun domesticated fowl collectively, esp. those valued for their meat and eggs, as chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME pulletrie < MF pouleterie. See pullet, -ery]

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Coturnix quail are valued for their meat and eggs
sad.png

Button quails she could raise they're considered caged birds, their meat is of no edible value and their eggs are only good for hatching
smile.png
well you could eat em but i highly doubt you'd make a production sell out of em. THe best part is they can stay indoors!
smile.png

Other quail will most likely need a permit from your friends state to even consider raising, or selling, and then theres the factor of your friends township or whatever they're called there they may still consider it poultry. As you can eat pretty much any quail you can raise, as well as pheasants and what not.

By a general rule, I call.....

Chickens = Poultry
Ducks & Geese = Waterfowl
Pheasant & Quail = Gamebirds
Peacocks = Peafowl
Guineas = Guinea fowl

I dont know how correct all of that is, but thats usually how I refer to things.

Food industry - Domestic poultry - chicken, turkey (babies are 'poults'), guinea, quail, ducks and geese, etc.

Breeding industry each fall into specifics - waterfowl, gamebirds, poultry, etc.

Turkey can be poultry/gamebird.

Ducks and geese can be poultry/waterfowl/gamebird.

Most 'gamebirds' are also found wild in nature. Ducks require a 'gamebird stamp" from the federal gov't issued through the PO to be hunted.

Hmmmm. Doesn't look good. It seems to me that guineas would be a better alternative than herbicides and pesticides. I do understand that people have a misconception about poultry. My own mother was disgusted when I got chickens!:mad:

Guineas do well policing their living area but you would need a massive flock to control insects in large areas for farming. They also do not just eat bugs - they love corn and veggies too, therefore they might eat more produce than a farmer could harvest blemish free.

She only has about 100' x 50' of garden space. I did not realize that they eat corn and other veges. I will pass that on to her.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom