Are guineas noisy?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Moabite, May 17, 2010.

1. Moabite

Moabite Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Thinking of adding guineas to my flock. I live in town on 1/8 of an acre. I'm wanting to recruit some help with squash bugs, but I also need to be considerate of my neighbors. I have 5 young chicken (hens) now but they are not the best help in the garden. Any thoughts?

2. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Yes
    I don't have them but want them but only have 3 acres and neighbors and everyone says they are noisy - so I don't have them [​IMG]

3. Moabite

Moabite Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Could they be as bad as the hound down the street?

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes.

My tolerance for noise is very high, and even I had to admit that they were noisy. And we only had 4 of them.

5. Becky89*

Becky89* Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I live in a valley and my neighbors on both hills tell me they can hear Taylor (my female guinea) from their front porch. She "sings" at anything that isn't normal especially the wind. She loves to fly up on top of the barn roof and "sing" at the wind.

6. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Not only are they extremely loud, but they can fly like birds, so you would have to contain them. Mine occasional fly on top of my house and cars. [​IMG]

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    I got my Guineas for bug patrol, knowing they would also make a racket when spotting a predator or something different. So far mine will sound off the alarm call if they see a cat, fox, dog, or hear a tractor startup in the distance, cloud moves over the sun, wind blows a blade of grass, or they see me with a bucket whether it has scratch in it or not. Sometimes when a strange car pulls up and/or the normal car they see every day pulls up. An owl hoots, a hawk flies over (or a robin). Strangely enough, they didn't sound off when the wild Turkeys came up to see what all the fuss was about.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Yes, they are quite loud. Louder than I expected, actually! Personally I like having them because they'll alert me if anything is in the yard that shouldn't be, but I'm sure my neighbors aren't thrilled about them. They're very interesting birds, but definitely not the right bird for anyone who wants peace and quiet. I only have three and they thankfully aren't calling all the time, but when they do, they're anything but quiet.

9. Moabite

Moabite Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I really appreciate the answers. I guess I'll just have to be content with chickens and get up early enough to catch squash bugs for them every morning. Thanks.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by