Are guineas noisy?

Moabite

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Utah
Thinking of adding guineas to my flock. I live in town on 1/8 of an acre. I'm wanting to recruit some help with squash bugs, but I also need to be considerate of my neighbors. I have 5 young chicken (hens) now but they are not the best help in the garden. Any thoughts?

Yes
I don't have them but want them but only have 3 acres and neighbors and everyone says they are noisy - so I don't have them
sad.png

Yes.

My tolerance for noise is very high, and even I had to admit that they were noisy. And we only had 4 of them.

I live in a valley and my neighbors on both hills tell me they can hear Taylor (my female guinea) from their front porch. She "sings" at anything that isn't normal especially the wind. She loves to fly up on top of the barn roof and "sing" at the wind.

Not only are they extremely loud, but they can fly like birds, so you would have to contain them. Mine occasional fly on top of my house and cars.
hmm.png

I got my Guineas for bug patrol, knowing they would also make a racket when spotting a predator or something different. So far mine will sound off the alarm call if they see a cat, fox, dog, or hear a tractor startup in the distance, cloud moves over the sun, wind blows a blade of grass, or they see me with a bucket whether it has scratch in it or not. Sometimes when a strange car pulls up and/or the normal car they see every day pulls up. An owl hoots, a hawk flies over (or a robin). Strangely enough, they didn't sound off when the wild Turkeys came up to see what all the fuss was about.

Yes, they are quite loud. Louder than I expected, actually! Personally I like having them because they'll alert me if anything is in the yard that shouldn't be, but I'm sure my neighbors aren't thrilled about them. They're very interesting birds, but definitely not the right bird for anyone who wants peace and quiet. I only have three and they thankfully aren't calling all the time, but when they do, they're anything but quiet.

I really appreciate the answers. I guess I'll just have to be content with chickens and get up early enough to catch squash bugs for them every morning. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom