Are hawks and raccoons the only decapitators ?

I thought fox or raccoon originally based on the gnawing pattern and cleaned off back area BUT the attack happened at 9:50ish am, with an electric fence, AND the neighbor saw a giant bird fly out of the enclosure where the dead chicken was found
Timing does not rule out anything. Foxes routinely hunt during day. Great-horned Owls will readily scavenge a carcass. EXCLUDE THEM ALL

Time to change the netting. I have only had issues with the netting when I ran short and put up some crappy netting. It wasn't what I thought it was and I should have returned it, but I put it up anyway and an owl went through it and killed a bird. I put up another piece of the crappy netting because that was all I had at the time and the owl went through it again and killed another bird. I thought the netting might deter any aerial predators. I put another piece of the crappy netting up and moved the birds to another coop and put a camera up and the owl came back and went through the netting again. I had ordered some good netting and replaced the crappy netting and the owl came back and tried to go through the replaced good netting again but this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get it out and into a cage. I called some wildlife people and they came and got it. They told me they had another area to release it in. This is like the netting I bought. ("SUPER STRONG and DURABLE -Tensile Strength: 85/245 LBS per Mesh"). Good luck...
https://www.amazon.com/Aviary-Netting-Heavy-Knotted-Poultry/dp/B012L9ZIFE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3R015GU0F7DMS&dchild=1&keywords=aviary+netting&qid=1597326958&sprefix=aviary+netting,aps,785&sr=8-6
DSCF00031125 02.jpg

View attachment 2288281
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

This is like the original netting I used. This is the piece I replaced the crappy netting with.
View attachment 2288282
View attachment 2288285View attachment 2288292
Thank you. I’ve seen hawk netting that is white nylon that I want to replace the bird netting with. I’ll give this some serious consideration!

Here is one of the injured chicks we had to euthanize and one cuckoo Maran that made it out alive. 940559A7-CEB2-4F0F-80CB-C3B01BFCD0C4.jpeg Maybe the attack marks can be seen here? It’s not a great picture
F12DBEFC-69D0-4B72-B03A-CF6E89BB6A98.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom