Are hybrid chickens still 'all natural'?

Quote:
No, either way your not going to be wrong. Worse case scenario you don't like the breed you chose and you try another one. We have all been there done that as far as choosing the wrong breed. Even people that preach dual purpose chose the wrong breed to suit there needs. Sometimes you will go through a half of dozen dual purpose breeds until you find one you like. It's all about personal preference... Which breed will best suit you.

If your only concern is ordering new chicks in every year than that is a very small concern to have. I'm going to play devils advocate so to speak. Before I finish... note that I do raise both. I have broilers and ALBC lines of Buckeyes that were bred for meat purposes. They both have there place.

When getting new chickens in every year you only have to worry about one batch of chicks.... one brooding phase... one grow out phase... and one processing phase. All of this takes place within 8 weeks. If you get Buckeyes, or another dual purpose breed you have year round maintenance on them. Your chick phase is about 2 months long and you will only get 70% to hatch of that 70% only half of which will be males. You only want to eat the males, I say this because your females are going to pay for your whole set up... not the males. A typical dual purpose hen will sell from $10.00 -$25.00 depending the breed. Then you look at a 4 month grow out time for your males. So overall your looking at a total growing stage for your meat buckeyes for about 6 months to get every male chick finished to the freezer.

If you have a dozen hens and a couple of roosters, you could set just say 28 eggs a week for 8 weeks giving you 224 eggs. Of those 224 eggs about 156 will hatch. Giving you say 70 males and 70 females (you lose some of those chicks along the way giving you 140 birds total) You grow out the 70 females to sell to whoever.... at $10.00 each. Making you $700.00

The males you grow out until they are 16 weeks and you have about 70 birds at 4 lbs each giving you plenty of meat for your family. Probably some to sell or give away as well.

I say 28 eggs a week because you will probably get 6-8 a day in peak production from 12 dual purpose breeds... setting 4 aside to hatch and the rest you can either eat or sell as hatching eggs.

This may look good and sound good but you have to have detailed records, a very healthy flock, 4-6 different pens for breeding, brooding and growing. It can get very technical very quick even for someone doing it on a small scale. But if it's done right it can be very efficient. However in todays society not many people have the time to take care of all of those pens, incubators, records, ect. Most people have full time jobs, kids, kids activities in school... and if your a parent you know how endless this list is. But it is also a good way to get your family involved with this as well.

To sum it up... if your tight on time go with the broilers... if your looking to save money... go with the broilers. Even with buying chicks year after year... you still save so much time and money with the broilers.

I'm not trying to steer you away from buckeyes but you have to want a sustaining flock for the right reasons. If not it will be a drag to your lifestyle and your pocket book. Either breed you choose the chicken will be to die for and it will completely knock grocery store chicken out of the water. Also keep in mind that it takes a couple of years to get a set up like I explained. 12 chickens will be all that you need to start with but there is a lot of money wrapped up in incubators, wood, wire, heat lamps, ect.

Good luck... please keep us updated in what you choose!~

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, Jeff, you may just have something there. Hmmmm...
lol.png

After reading the articles I've been reading tonight I'm considering adding Delawares to my experiment. They were apparently the meat bird of the industry just at the time of the switch to the Cornish X. Maybe I will raise 25 of those instead of another batch of Dark Cornish.

That's a good choice as they are white... so much easier to process. I've done both, and like the lighter feathered birds simply because they are less work. Try getting good stock though if you can. Some people breed solely for meat purposes. Check with ALBC to get a list of quality breeders. Tell them you want meat lines if available. This is a great organization that is dedicated to helping people just like yourself. This is where I got my meat buckeyes. A lot of times they will give you free chicks if you give them so many back when you get established. It's a great program.

Quote:
No, either way your not going to be wrong. Worse case scenario you don't like the breed you chose and you try another one. We have all been there done that as far as choosing the wrong breed. Even people that preach dual purpose chose the wrong breed to suit there needs. Sometimes you will go through a half of dozen dual purpose breeds until you find one you like. It's all about personal preference... Which breed will best suit you.

If your only concern is ordering new chicks in every year than that is a very small concern to have. I'm going to play devils advocate so to speak. Before I finish... note that I do raise both. I have broilers and ALBC lines of Buckeyes that were bred for meat purposes. They both have there place.

When getting new chickens in every year you only have to worry about one batch of chicks.... one brooding phase... one grow out phase... and one processing phase. All of this takes place within 8 weeks. If you get Buckeyes, or another dual purpose breed you have year round maintenance on them. Your chick phase is about 2 months long and you will only get 70% to hatch of that 70% only half of which will be males. You only want to eat the males, I say this because your females are going to pay for your whole set up... not the males. A typical dual purpose hen will sell from $10.00 -$25.00 depending the breed. Then you look at a 4 month grow out time for your males. So overall your looking at a total growing stage for your meat buckeyes for about 6 months to get every male chick finished to the freezer.

If you have a dozen hens and a couple of roosters, you could set just say 28 eggs a week for 8 weeks giving you 224 eggs. Of those 224 eggs about 156 will hatch. Giving you say 70 males and 70 females (you lose some of those chicks along the way giving you 140 birds total) You grow out the 70 females to sell to whoever.... at $10.00 each. Making you $700.00

The males you grow out until they are 16 weeks and you have about 70 birds at 4 lbs each giving you plenty of meat for your family. Probably some to sell or give away as well.

I say 28 eggs a week because you will probably get 6-8 a day in peak production from 12 dual purpose breeds... setting 4 aside to hatch and the rest you can either eat or sell as hatching eggs.

This may look good and sound good but you have to have detailed records, a very healthy flock, 4-6 different pens for breeding, brooding and growing. It's very technical very quick even for someone doing it on a small scale. But if it's done right it can be very efficient. However in todays society not many people have the time to take care of all of those pens, incubators, records, ect. Most people have full time jobs, kids, kids activities in school... and if your a parent you know how endless this list is. But it is also a good way to get your family involved with this as well.

To sum it up... if your tight on time go with the broilers... if your looking to save money... go with the broilers. Even with buying chicks year after year... you still save so much time and money with the broilers.

I'm not trying to steer you away from buckeyes but you have to want a sustaining flock for the right reasons. If not it will be a drag to your lifestyle and your pocket book. Either breed you choose the chicken will be to die for and it will completely knock grocery store chicken out of the water. Also keep in mind that it takes a couple of years to get a set up like I explained. 12 chickens will be all that you need to start with but there is a lot of money wrapped up in incubators, wood, wire, heat lamps, ect.

I know it's early yet, but I'm not finding it anywhere near the complicated, Jeff.

Quote:
Jeff, you've made some really great points in all of your posts in this thread, IMO. I agree with pretty much all you've said. Except this part.

I read this frequently, and I really don't get it. I've processed dark birds and white birds. It's no easier to pull out a white feather than a black feather. If you have a plucker, it doesn't care what color the feathers are, either. I can see the dark feathers more easily, and so I can FIND any small, overlooked feathers more easily, to pull them out. The only difference is sometimes the dark feathers leave a spot of pigment in what I'll call the "follicle gel", because I don't know what it's actually called. That same gel is present on white birds, you just don't see it. It makes no difference at all in flavor, and is harmless. Note that we're talking about birds for home use here, not commercial, so what a customer might think is irrelevant.

You still have all the very same steps, slaughter, scald, pluck, eviscerate, rinse, chill, package, rest, and freeze. Are white birds less work because you can leave more feathers behind and just not notice them, and pretend they aren't there? I don't care to eat any feathers, myself, even little bitty white ones.

Ya your right... I should have clarified it better. It's the pigment that is left behind. If you don't mind it than yes go with whatever suits you best. However for me, since I sell most of what I raise... I like to make sure they stay spotless... the black or colored gel that is left behind throws some people way off.

Some colored birds have the clear pigments that are left behind. I have noticed that buckeyes are this way.

As far as processing goes they all take the same time and same work. Just extra if you want to squeeze all the colored pigment out.

Quote:

This may look good and sound good but you have to have detailed records, a very healthy flock, 4-6 different pens for breeding, brooding and growing. It's very technical very quick even for someone doing it on a small scale. But if it's done right it can be very efficient. However in todays society not many people have the time to take care of all of those pens, incubators, records, ect. Most people have full time jobs, kids, kids activities in school... and if your a parent you know how endless this list is. But it is also a good way to get your family involved with this as well.

I know it's early yet, but I'm not finding it anywhere near the complicated, Jeff.

Your lucky then... as it takes time and money to build an efficient self sustaining flock. Just for whatever (not singling you out) but did you buy an incubator, lights, brooding material, did you have pre-existing buildings or did you have to build them?

Many people that want to do this just have a single coop and that's it. Being self sustaining is great but you must be prepared before going in head first. A lot of times its a good idea to get the broilers first than slowly go into the whole self sustaining phase as it does take time.

Quote:
I'd love some Salmon Faverolles. Been trying to get some for awhile now. But I don't want hatchery birds, I want breeder stock, something from good bloodlines. Got any? I got some fertile eggs from a breeder last spring, but they were shipped, and none hatched. Been looking for a breeder within a half day's drive, so I could pick eggs up from them.

nope, don't have any yet. they are on my list for this spring though. i've been looking for a breeder close by, with no luck. i've been looking into Sandhill Preservation, but i don't know enough about them yet. some have said they are wonderful, others say they don't breed to standard...

if you find any, please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom