Are images from the internet allowed in member pages articles?

chickenlover22345

The enthusiast that likes fish and chooks
Aug 31, 2023
Perth, Australia
I was asking because of me writing an article about aquarium fish for a possible other pets section. So are images from the internet allowed to be in non-competition articles?

I would guess that it's okay, at least depending on the images. You should probably try to see what licenses the images you want to use are released under and give attributions in your article.

I would guess that it's okay, at least depending on the images. You should probably try to see what licenses the images you want to use are released under and give attributions in your article.
It is considered stealing if you use someone else's images without their permission.

BYC's stand on copyright infringement:

"We take copyright infringement very seriously. Pursuant to the repeat infringer policy requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we maintain a list of DMCA notices from copyright holders and make a good faith effort to identify any repeat infringers. Those that violate our internal repeat infringer policy will have their accounts terminated."

It is considered stealing if you use someone else's images without their permission.

BYC's stand on copyright infringement:

We take copyright infringement very seriously. Pursuant to the repeat infringer policy requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we maintain a list of DMCA notices from copyright holders and make a good faith effort to identify any repeat infringers. Those that violate our internal repeat infringer policy will have their accounts terminated.
I understand. Guess I'll use my own illustrations then.

If the license that an image is released under allows it it's fine, but if it doesn't then you shouldn't use it. Wikimedia images, for example, can be used, but they may require an attribution.

Last edited:
If the license that an image is released under allows it it's fine, but if it doesn't then you shouldn't use it. Wikimedia images, for example, can be used, but they may require an attribution.
ALL images require attribution. Even doing that does not necessarily mean you are in the clear. Copyright holders can take action for any unlicensed use of their images if you have not obtained permission or license to use them. Images used from places like adobe stock photos are restricted by the terms of the service agreement, and most creative commons agreements also have stipulations on use.

The long and short of it that you should not be using other people's work unless you have directly obtained permission in writing to do so or can show the image is public domain and clear to use.

There are lots of search results similar to this one that summarize it, but here's a reference.
https://dunnerlaw.com/using-online-images-without-violating-copyright/

TL;DR, "Don't".

I was asking because of me writing an article about aquarium fish for a possible other pets section. So are images from the internet allowed to be in non-competition articles?
You could always try to make your own naming the specific fish to go in there. This one I didn't specify which ones. Credit to @casportpony for teaching me how.

This was simply: aquarium with decorations, air bubbles, plants, several tropical fish, a seahorse
aquarium.jpg

Or this one: 20 gallon aquarium with decorations, air bubbles, plants, several tropical fish including angelfish and neon tetras, realistic

aquarium 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom