Are little eggs normal first few weeks or forever?

Mobleymoon

Songster
Feb 4, 2019
West side of Jackson, Michigan
All 4 of our baby girls are laying eggs. From broody hen mom to big girls showing off their "girly-ness". I thought being first eggs they should be small, these are too small and just too cute to cook. Will my girls ever lay eggs that are closer to normal size eggs. In the picture they are 4 days old. The 2 i got today are the same size. The white egg is store bought. The large brown egg is from mom hen. She is 1.5 yrs. My kids are 20 wks this wk. Is there something wrong here? They eat well, I think. Crumble all they want. Scratch, only a cup a day, across the trough. Cracked corm in a metal fed thing...(like a self feeder can), grit with oister shell and meal worms in a (hard to explain this) 18x18x18" plastic, mirrored cube, like a come/go tunnel. With 2-hanging cabbages (1 at a time of course). Is there anything else i can possable do for these kids?

Attachments

• 20200201_134219.jpg
    20200201_134219.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 28
It's normal for pullet eggs to be small.
They will get bigger, in days, or weeks, or months.

I see some red flags, nothing to do with small pullet eggs tho.

Crumble all they want. Scratch, only a cup a day, across the trough.
What kind of crumble?
Good to know the protein and calcium percentages, it's on a tag sewn into bottom of bags.

Not good to add scratch to feed trough, should be given in moderation and separately.
I spread mine on the ground out in the run to get them out of the coop while I clean and top off feed and water.

Cracked corm in a metal fed thing...(like a self feeder can),
Corn should not be fed freely, or in addition to the scratch.

grit with oister shell and meal worms in a (hard to explain this) 18x18x18" plastic,
Are these 3 things mixed together or in separate sections?
A pic here would help

I agree with @aart. Scratch and corn should not be fed freely. If you don't have a rooster then Layer Feed might be a better option. Pullet eggs usually start off small, but do get larger after a bit. I've noticed that after the winter molt and no egg laying, my hens have started laying again and the first 2 weeks the eggs were a bit smaller than before. Now they are back to extra large eggs.

My pullets are starting to lay. I'm getting small eggs the first week or so from new girls but my girls that have been going a month now are laying very large eggs. I would class two of my girls laying extra larger. I got seven eggs yesterday out off my ten girls. Two extra large, three large and two medium. I'm only get a small egg the first day or two. Seven of my ten are laying so I should get a new small egg soon. I'll post a pic of them. I just got four eggs out of the box. My large egg regular layers lay early morning and my newer layers lay after 8:00am. My new eggs can have color issues. Looks like a spray can ran out of tan paint on a white egg. That to only lasts a day or so . I also get chips on the outside of the egg like you rolled it in sprinkles. But after the first week its all good and I can't tell any difference other than size.

I agree I get the same way so what breed are they
Thank you for your reply. You asked what "breed", I do not know. Heinz-57 I guess.
I know they are chickens.
20191128_110504.jpg

(The bike seat is for reference and a good doorstop) 2 boys, Chancy (white w/ a black shaw) and Zipper @ 12:00, his tweed girls @11 and 5 and the twin buffy butts @ 6 and 9. I have read the other replies. They say don't do this, don't do that and don't tell you why. I am the first to tell you everything I know about Chickens I learned here. I started with just babysitting a flock for a few wks. last winter. {1 Roo, red, orange and brown- 6 hens, 5 blk. and white (barrels ?) 1, beautiful "hawk-shaped", brown-tweedy looking, (like above,11:00). Turned into a few months. One of his hens (metallic black) was exceptionally broody. I felt so bad for her we (husband & I) let this evolve. He took his flock back and left us with mom hen and these sweeties. Our excuss for their Run is under 2" of pack ice and 5" of snow is due in 24-36 hr. So scratch on top of the snow on the ground is out of the question. They come out of the coop touch the snow and run back in like it is hot. So funny! I love these kids. They came late in the year, so a new roof and windows were the priority. Come spring I have been promised a she-she-er girly coop. Right now I have Red Flags to ponder. Thanks for letting me ramble, I think my kids are happy, they talk to me like they're happy. They are calm and seem to be well intergraded. Mom hen is back to her pre-broody state of mind and showing the girls how to be prissy and not so roo-boy like. Enough talk'en I'm headed to the coop. Scrambled eggs and oatmeal! ps. I don't eat eggs or chicken meat. Got a Red flag for that?

My pullets are starting to lay. I'm getting small eggs the first week or so from new girls but my girls that have been going a month now are laying very large eggs. I would class two of my girls laying extra larger. I got seven eggs yesterday out off my ten girls. Two extra large, three large and two medium. I'm only get a small egg the first day or two. Seven of my ten are laying so I should get a new small egg soon. I'll post a pic of them. I just got four eggs out of the box. My large egg regular layers lay early morning and my newer layers lay after 8:00am. My new eggs can have color issues. Looks like a spray can ran out of tan paint on a white egg. That to only lasts a day or so . I also get chips on the outside of the egg like you rolled it in sprinkles. But after the first week its all good and I can't tell any difference other than size.
Here too, almost pop corny- ouch! 10 chicken how neat that would be, like a cloud of chickens. We'll see what the new coop looks like before we enlarge to flock. Thank so much for your reply, love hearing about your birds.

Back
Top Bottom