are my 2 chicks roosters???

jellebeans

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
hi, hooray....finally got 2 chickens yesterday,about 10 weeks old,one pekin and one transylvanian. silkies were not ready for another 2 weeks or so,so will have to go back for those. lady who sold them says ones we have are female but after reading up and googling etc,im not so sure!!!! i do hope im wrong as we cannot keep roosters where we live and my son loves them already,they jump on his lap and let him stroke them,will be sad if they have to go,they are so sweet. what do you think??? ......mmm....ok cant seem to attach the pics...help!!!!!ahhhhhhh

well a photo has been uploaded but where it went i dont know???? and half of one of the chicks isnt on it....not doing very well here am i!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198

About
the third one down is about posting pics.
welcome-byc.gif

From the photo, I'd say yes, two roosters. Sorry
sad.png
They have pretty large and pink combs, always a good indicator. Pullets usually stay yellow or a very, very pale pink if that until getting close to laying age.

sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
:(no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the lady who sold them must of known surley???? i think she did but just wanted to get rid of them,and she over charged us...cheeky!!!!

they were from the petshop so she definatly have experience with them,the more i think about the more angry i am now,i realise its difficult to sex them but these are our first chickens and had no idea how to tell when we got them and just trusted what she told us,she said shes pretty sure they were girls so when i came home i spent 10 minutes on the internet and realised very soon that they were prob roosters!!! she knew they were for my little boy aswell,she obviously have no children of her own!!!! our neighbours will not appreciate the crowing!!! still praying for a little bit of hope they are female !!!!!! does anyone know when they would start to crow????

I really am sorry you have to go through this. It just isn't right. I always let people know what sex my chickens are and only advertise them as such. As far as the crowing, it's really hard to say. I've had some crow as early as 4 weeks, others as late as 8 months. It really just all depends. If you can't keep them, I'd start advertising them now. I have been rehoming roosters for 6 months now and I still have quite a few to go. It is hit and miss, but hopefully you will run across someone looking for a couple.

Back
Top Bottom