Are my "babies" going to be ok?

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Please answer as quickly as possible!
I'm getting 4 chicks from IDEAL poultry.
We live about 1,044 miles away from the hatchery and this is going to be my first time getting chicks shipped to me and I'm nervous. Should I be? I'm ordering with some friends so together there is going to be 9 chicks. How many extra males should I expect?

Last edited:
9 chicks are not very many for a mail order. Did they say they would extra males for warmth? It usually says on the website what the minimum shipment is; often it is 25. If that's their minimum, then expect 16 extra males.

Everyone is nervous first time around, but if you take care to read about what the chicks need, and set things up accordingly, the chicks usually do fine.

I ordered from Ideal once, and found they got from TX to MA in two days, and most chicks were fine on arrival.

I didn't order from Ideal, but the hatchery that I did order was over 1,000 miles away and they ended up shipping from two states even further away :confused: I'm pretty sure that they look at the weather and ship according to that.

I "had" to order a minimum of 25 since I ordered before April 1, after that would be a minimum of 15. But with this weather, I'm glad I got that many :) They did send me 2 extra so a total of 27 and they all arrived alive. Some were pretty questionable but I used the quick chick and Nutri-drench....may I suggest you have that on hand? It got them all through shipping stress!

I ordered 3 ducks and a gosling last year from them in early may, I only got 8 male chicks with my order. It all depends on the weather how many they send I think.

Back
Top Bottom