Are my birds hiding eggs or am I just impatient?

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there!

I have 9 hens (2 Ameraucanas, 2 Marans, 2 RIR, 3 OE) and 1 Khaki Campbell hen that are all 21 weeks old now. I’ve yet to find an egg! We are pretty wooded here though and I’m wondering if my girls are laying in the woods. They free range. I let them out around 645a and they put themselves to bed around 830p. Do I need to scour the mosquito and poison ivy covered woods or be patient and keep checking the coop? I’m so excited and ready for these freeloaders to start earning their keep. 😆😉

Do I need to scour the mosquito and poison ivy covered woods or be patient and keep checking the coop?
Good weather coupled with major free ranging (as you describe) often results in hidden nests in my experience. Sometimes I can even see them lining up to use it and bickering at the one occupying it.

Hearing the egg song is often a good clue there may be hidden nests.

Locking them up in the coop for several days as the first poster suggested is the easiest way to see what up. I have to do this most years for at least a short period once weather gets nice to retrain them to lay in the box.

Have you already put fake eggs in the coop nests?

When I do hunt for nests.. I usually have the easiest time finding them at dusk using a flashlight to look for reflecting under the dark bushes.

Hope you find your first egg soon! :fl

HAHAH. Yes you do. These birds are so goofy. You will most likely find a hoard. I found one a few weeks ago that at least 3 birds were hoarding. It was a giant pile looked like something out of a cartoon. Watch em for a day and see where they are sneaking off to. After blocking access to their labyrinth they pretty much gave up and started using their designated laying area. We have a bunch of leghorns and they are so bad at being mothers they will sometimes just squat in the dirt pop it out and then run away. Had one in the sheep water trough a few days ago.

Okay so silly question, if I do this, do I need to put food/water in the coop or will they be fine? It isn’t hot here anymore. I feed/water in the run because the ducks are far too messy. Or how about light? It’s pretty dark with the door closed.
Keep them locked in their coop until about noon for a few days, to see if they're hiding eggs or not laying yet. They should be laying soon if they're aren't already.

Last edited:
Good weather coupled with major free ranging (as you describe) often results in hidden nests in my experience. Sometimes I can even see them lining up to use it and bickering at the one occupying it.

Hearing the egg song is often a good clue there may be hidden nests.

Locking them up in the coop for several days as the first poster suggested is the easiest way to see what up. I have to do this most years for at least a short period once weather gets nice to retrain them to lay in the box.

Have you already put fake eggs in the coop nests?

When I do hunt for nests.. I usually have the easiest time finding them at dusk using a flashlight to look for reflecting under the dark bushes.

Hope you find your first egg soon! :fl
We DID hear the egg song the other day. I thought it was our rooster though and didn’t think anything of it til later. He makes a sound like that too. I did throw a couple golf balls in some of the boxes. The bedding in one nest was pushed out of the center this morning. Something is up!

Okay so silly question, if I do this, do I need to put food/water in the coop or will they be fine? It isn’t hot here anymore. I feed/water in the run because the ducks are far too messy. Or how about light? It’s pretty dark with the door closed.
If locking them in the coop for part of the day they need food, water, light and ample ventilation. No light = they can't see to eat and drink.

I will bet they are not laying yet. Usually about the time you have given up all hope. I sometimes think that hoping for an egg, keeps them from laying, haha!

Go down and sit with them, watch them, they explore the nests for weeks before they lay. When did they get really bright red in the combs? About 4 weeks later. If they are squatting for you, about 2 weeks later.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom