Are my chickens cold?!

Shabby Chic-Hens

My mind is like a Diamond; hard and sparkly
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
A lot of my chickens are acting this way, hunched over. It’s 59 degrees out, and slightly windy. Are they cold?

Attachments

• 79455C90-E8C6-409F-A2C1-BC84DD480D30.jpeg
    79455C90-E8C6-409F-A2C1-BC84DD480D30.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 69B485F1-A0C5-4A48-9891-BD1DD46DA0EB.jpeg
    69B485F1-A0C5-4A48-9891-BD1DD46DA0EB.jpeg
    989.9 KB · Views: 15
A lot of my chickens are acting this way, hunched over. It’s 59 degrees out, and slightly windy. Are they cold?
Those look like silkies. It's all I have here. It's 54F today, slight breeze, but the sun is out, and they're running around chasing leaves and whatever bugs remain. They are also out in the winter provided it's above 20F and not windy. Yours shouldn't be cold I wouldn't think but they sure look like it.

I'd be worried the way they look and see if I could coax them back to the coop and turn on a cozy coop/flat panel heater for them and give them vitamin water.

Have you looked them over for mites or anything else just in case?

This is the posture they assume when they are not feeling well, so it can be hard to tell if they are cold or unwell. Silkies have deformed feathers (by selfish human design) that don't do their job like nature intended. They don't provide proper insulation, from either cold or from moisture (rain/cold), so silkies are less protected than normal chickens from the elements. So it's possible that they are cold, though I'd be more worried about a health issue making them assume this "unwell chicken" posture.

This is the posture they assume when they are not feeling well, so it can be hard to tell if they are cold or unwell. Silkies have deformed feathers (by selfish human design) that don't do their job like nature intended. They don't provide proper insulation, from either cold or from moisture (rain/cold), so silkies are less protected than normal chickens from the elements. So it's possible that they are cold, though I'd be more worried about a health issue making them assume this "unwell chicken" posture.
Would a chicken jacket help them? These are roosters.

Honestly, don't know if a jacket would benefit them, or stress them out more. I'd suggest making things warmer in the coop, that way they have the option to go in when cold

Honestly, don't know if a jacket would benefit them, or stress them out more. I'd suggest making things warmer in the coop, that way they have the option to go in when cold
Sadly, they currently do not have a good coop. Kind of just an old ice fishing shack, or whatever tree they can find. We are building a nice coop for them this week

Back
Top Bottom