Are my chickens getting enough nutrients ?

Empressive

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
I started with 5 laying hens and laying hen feed. Then I got 3, approximately 3 months old bantams, one being a rooster and a 3 month old satin silkie rooster. I read that it was best to feed chickens all flock and supplement calcium since too much isn’t good for the roosters. I now have a few 8, 5 and 3 week old chicks. Will feeding everyone all flock be enough or should I put more effort into feeding age appropriate. I.e laying feed and starter grower feed. If so, what’s best for the rooster ? Thank you !

It’s 17%, thank you glad to be here!
That is a little low for chicks, who really need 18-20%.
What I would do, is either feed the whole flock on chick starter until the chicks are 10 weeks old, or so, or just mix in chick starter into the all flock.
The later is what I do, and it works out rather well, as chick starter generally has smaller pieces, so the chicks naturally eat more of that, and the older birds go for bigger bits.
After 10 or so weeks, they can just have the same all flock.

That is a little low for chicks, who really need 18-20%.
What I would do, is either feed the whole flock on chick starter until the chicks are 10 weeks old, or so, or just mix in chick starter into the all flock.
The later is what I do, and it works out rather well, as chick starter generally has smaller pieces, so the chicks naturally eat more of that, and the older birds go for bigger bits.
After 10 or so weeks, they can just have the same all flock.
Thank you ! So I should be fine having both all flock and starter grower feed in the run. I guess I was worried about the hens eating the grower feed.

Back
Top Bottom