Are my chickens too scared to eat??

cvlcite

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
Florida
Hey everyone, I recently and unexpectedly aquired 2 chickens from a family friend before I was ready to properly house them, but they’re here now nonetheless. They’ve been sleeping in an my dogs old crate ( it’s really big) and I leave the door open while they are safely inside my patio until I can get them a proper coop. I leave food and water out for them as well but I’m worried they’re not eating and that they’re never going to. I come home and see the fruits and vegetables I left out for them is still full and the feed is untouched. On top of that I also don’t think they’re drinking any water. All they do is stay inside the crate and never venture out into the patio. Are they too scared to eat and drink? Will this behavior get better when they have a real coop to live in? Will they ever get used to me? How can I help them be less spooked, they start to cluck and make noise as soon as I appear :(.

Good news!

Give them mostly chicken feed and only 10% treats (fruit, greens, “scratch” grains, kitchen scraps, etc.). So glad they are happy in their new coop!

Back
Top Bottom