are my chicks getting sick?

l'abeille

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Berkeley, CA
I have 17 2.5 week old chicks. Today it seems like about 1/3 of them have looser than normal stools. They seem perky otherwise. They are on unmedicated chick starter feed, with occasional treats: cornmeal and earthworms. The temps have been low the last 3 nights and I think they may have been at only 70-80 degrees instead of the target 85. In the morning they are all right under he lamp, which I have now lowered.

Are loose stools normal now and then? Are they too cold? Is this a potential sign of coccidiosis?

Are the loose stools kinda orangeish brown and really STINKY?

All chickens pass cecal poop, I think I read every 4 hours. Well chicks are much smaller so they pass it more frequently.
It's kinda orangey runny and stinks a thousand times worse than regular chicken poop.

My last bactch of chicks it seemed like they ONLY had cecal poop if I wanted to do something like clean out the brooder they would STINK up their temporary place super-bad! I don't notice as much with my current chicks, but they are outside so I may just not see it.

By chance are you giving them chick sized grit or sand to help them digest the worms??

At 2.5 weeks they shouldn't have loose stool. Yes, it could be coccidiosis. It would be wise to change to medicated (it's not really a medication, BTW) feed or add amprolium to their water. If they begin to become listless, you may have to begin an antibiotic in their water.

It doesn't sound like cecal. I do give them sand with the worms. they are also trying to lie on their sides more than normal bedding down tonight. is that significant? I will have to wait until tomorrow to get amprolium. The yogurt they would not eat, although they did walk in it a lot and then ate it off their feet--very funny to watch!

Last edited:
well, the yogurt was gone this morning and so are the loose stools. Yay! So either it was the temperature being too low or the yogurt was really helpful. Either way, thx for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom