Slow growth rate in 2 week old chick.

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I have a 2 week old partridge rock. I brought her home from a feed store 3/23 and she weighed 39 grams. Now she’s at 72 grams. This is an 85% increase (30 ish grams). Her same age / different breed siblings have gained well over 100% of their body weight (50 ish grams). The “siblings” are lavender Wyandottes. All should be females.
D33C9642-54A9-4CEA-AB26-F23C17CC4EF8.jpeg

She acts normally & has normal stools. She’s kind of “chill” but I wouldn’t describe her as lethargic or listless. She lives with 13 other chicks mostly aged 3 weeks, so she is in the youngest group. She tries desperately to keep up with her 3 week old siblings whereas her same age counterparts are content to hang out under the brooder or eating while the bigger chicks go exploring. (They’re in a brooder in the big coop so they have occasional access to the big coop & run.).

I checked her crop today and it was empty. I added a second bowl of food, watched the bigger girls eat (she ate sporadically with them) and then when they returned to exploring, she went with them instead of eating. Is she just trying too hard to keep up with the “big” chicks?

To be safe, I brought her and her siblings inside. They have no competition for food and nutridrench in the water. I’ve offered her oatmeal and egg whites which she wasn’t too excited about. She still doesn’t seem to eat much (Purina flock raiser). Her crop does sometimes have stuff in it, but it’s never full. Anything else I should do, or just let her develop at her own speed?

Last edited:
I have a 2 week old partridge rock. I brought her home from a feed store 3/23 and she weighed 39 grams. Noe she’s a 72 grams. This is an 85% increase (30 ish grams). Her same age / different breed siblings have gained well over 100% of their body weight (50 ish grams). The “siblings” are lavender Wyandottes. All should be females.
View attachment 3461488

She acts normally & has normal stools. She’s kind of “chill” but I wouldn’t describe her as lethargic or listless. She lives with 13 other chicks mostly aged 3 weeks, so she is in the youngest group. She tries desperately to keep up with her 3 week old siblings whereas her same age counterparts are content to hang out under the brooder or eating while the bigger chicks go exploring. (They’re in a brooder in the big coop so they have occasional access to the big coop & run.).

I checked her crop today and it was empty. I added a second bowl of food, watched the bigger girls eat (she ate sporadically with them) and then when they returned to exploring, she went with them instead of eating. Is she just trying too hard to keep up with the “big” chicks?

To be safe, I brought her and her siblings inside. They have no competition for food and nutridrench in the water. I’ve offered her oatmeal and egg whites which she wasn’t too excited about. She still doesn’t seem to eat much (Purina flock raiser). Her crop does sometimes have stuff in it, but it’s never full. Anything else I should do, or just let her develop at her own speed?
Not an expert but i think its fine. My polish and speckeld sussex are like that and are now 4 1/2 weeks old and fine. I think it may just be a slower chick. I think ittl be ok. Hope everything works out

Back
Top Bottom