Are my chicks ready for the coop???

dobee13

Chirping
7 Years
May 31, 2013
Bay Area
My Coop
My Coop
I have been living off this site since I got my chicks...3 were purchased April 24 and 1 on May 1st. They are LARGE now and totally feathered. I have read so many different things...so I'd love to hear what you have to say

It's getting warm this weekend, 70+. They are super crowded in the bin i have them in. Noticing some pecking...and they are destroying the food container. I'd love to get them into the coop/run for the day. I have the eglu go and a nice spacious run attached to it.

2 americaunas, 1 speckled sussex, 1 silver wyanodotte. So biggish breeds. Any pros out there say it's finally OK to get them into their new home???

I'm no expert but I am 99% sure the ones you purchased in April are definitely ready to go in the coop especially since you'll be having a good temp outside, maybe another week on the ones you purchased on May 1st?

I think they can go out into coop.does the last one stay with the now? It should be fine.you may want to put whatever they slept in inside their coop with them mine didn't know where to sleep 1st nite out.so I put a box in there and they all slept there.cut one side of box out so they can walk into it.when they start to use their roost.take box out.they are just babies after all.

As soon as chicks are fully feathered, they can go into larger dwellings with no supplimental heat. Put them in at night, and let them wake up in their new home. Some people like to keep them locked up for a couple of days to reinforce the idea that where they are is home, and where they should sleep.

My 8 girls are now about 14 weeks and have been in their new coop for about 3 weeks. I raised them in a big appliance box, so they had lots of room, but they all slept on top of each other. Now, after 3 week in the coop they are still sleeping on top of each other in one of the laying boxes. Haven't seen them roost yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal and will they naturally roost at some point? I'm switching their feed next week and will need the box...HELP!!!

you should not change their feed to layer till they lay1st egg.they will soon find their roost mine is 4 ft from floor.yes they will start out all piled up togeather.in the days ahead they will spread out on roost.not to worry I have 6 chickens 4 sleep on roost the other girl and the rooster sleep over in one of nesting boxes.make sure your roost is higher than nesting boxes.

Thanks for the info...I thought they didn't start laying until you changed their food. They're are still on the starter food and scratch.

Back
Top Bottom